XS650 parts on an XS1100 bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS650 parts on an XS1100 bike

So, I'm on www.mikesxs.net and i'm looking at some parts for my 1979 XS1100 Special... I need to buy new coils and i was wondering, first of all, if any of these coils will work on my bike. Also, they have dozens of different kinds and i was wondering which one would be the best buy, if any will even work...

They also have spark plug caps on there and i was wondering how much resistance i need cause they have a 1k Ohm, 5k Ohm, and a non-resistor type caps... If anyone know what would be the best, just let me know

Thanks,
    Eric Haarstad
    Eric Haarstad
    Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

The green coils P/N 17-6810 are the correct ones for our 11's. I'd stay away from the cheaper black ones (17-6803), as there have been many failures reported, YMMV. Stock caps would be 5K ohm and running non-resistor spark plugs.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

So personally you would go with the stock caps? The 5k Ohm
      Eric Haarstad
      Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

It really doesn't matter unless you have some sort of radio or electronic device on your bike. Without the resistor cap or plugs, the ignition will cause interference. Personally, one bike I run 5K caps, non resistance plugs with stock coils, the other bike, non resistance caps with non resistance plugs and Accel supercoils. I don't have any kind of radio on board.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

hey harr

hi and welcome! i have bought lots of stuff from mikes/ shocks //mirrors anyway delivery was fast and product was solid,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
          The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
          moemcnally@hotmail.com
          i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

thanks for the reassurance slow mo, and i think i'll stick with the 5k Ohm then, this has nothing to do with 650 parts but i was wondering about a tach with a digital speedo on it, i want to know if there was anyplace that i could buy one that would work on the bike... Will any digital speedo hook up to it or do i need some special, expensive speedo?
            Eric Haarstad
            Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by Haarstad View Post
              ...but i was wondering about a tach with a digital speedo on it, i want to know if there was anyplace that i could buy one that would work on the bike... Will any digital speedo hook up to it or do i need some special, expensive speedo?
              Aftermarket gauges are tough to fit to these. The tach doesn't get it's signal from the ignition, but rather from the alternator, so there'll be some rewiring involved. As to the speedo, if whatever you get has it's own sending unit for speed or it can be calibrated to any existing speedo drive, you'll be fine. But if it has a fixed ratio, remember that the XS uses an oddball 2.9:1 ratio and there's very little out there for that....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I used the switchblocks from mikes XS,
                be sure to get the right ones with the right switches as they have several types,
                To fit to the XS11 all I had to do was change the wireing loom over.
                I used the black coils from there as well and have had no problems with then yet, 2 years.
                http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
                1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
                In stock untouched contion.
                http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
                1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
                Mikes XS coils
                Jardine 4-1
                Pod filters
                Harley Davidson Rear Fender
                Bullet signal lights
                Twin 75mm headlights
                Self made single seat

Comment

Hmmm, i might just have to give up the hopes of having a digital one, the only reason why i was going to replace them was cause the speedo bounces when going 30mph or under and the tach does the same thing for 3,000rpm and under... kinda goofy
                  Eric Haarstad
                  Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by Haarstad View Post
                    Hmmm, i might just have to give up the hopes of having a digital one, the only reason why i was going to replace them was cause the speedo bounces when going 30mph or under and the tach does the same thing for 3,000rpm and under... kinda goofy
                    There is a post that just showed up today about the needle bounce/wobble, could give it a try of your daring!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i did take a look at that but his was wobbling at higher rpm, i don't know if his situation is the same as mine since my speedo does it too and they are both doing it when the needle is low on the gauge...
                      Eric Haarstad
                      Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

The speedo is mechanical, so if it's bouncing, I'd concentrate on lubricating the speedo linkage - from the wheel to the cable (lube the cable too), to the speedo itself.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                        X