winter tune up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter tune up

I hate to ask this cause I know it is on here somewhere. I just got my xs this year and I want to go through it this winter and change the fluids and tune it up. I am trying to get everything together before I start and I am trying to figure out what all I should do to it. I have seen a post on this before about what to do when you buy a bike but can't seem to find it now. Can anyone help?
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 Std
    4 into 1 exhast, pod filters
    2003 Triumph Thruxton

Look in the FAQ section, unde "What to look for in a neglected XS11". Also, get a manual and go through ALL of the maintenance section items in the book.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I have a manual and have changed the oil and plugs. The one I bought probaly wasn't neglected but you can never be to careful. I knew there was a post about that but couldn't remember where. Thank you.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100 Std
      2003 Triumph Thruxton

Comment

Be sure to completely disassemble the entire brake system if you haven't yet. Take the calipers and MC completely apart and clean behind the rubber seals. Clean the old fluid out and replace with new.

Go through the electrical system and take ALL the connectors/switches apart and clean the corrosion off of them and lube them with dielectric grease. Also clean all the ground connections, and dab them with anti-sieze (conducts electricity & prevents corrosion) before re-assembly. This includes the Reg.Rect under the tank - it grounds to the frame, and can get nasty underneath. Also, if you haven't yet, replace teh old fuse block with the spade-style fuses. TC sells a nice setup for $11 shipped. Just add fuses!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I am in the middle of getting a fuse box from TC. Had to wait for him to get back from vacation. The electrical seems good still. I will still go through it but I plan on reworking the brakes. I got lucky and bought one that was road worthy all ready. Just don't know when things had been done last so I will fell more comfortable doing them myself. One of these days I will get some pictures up of what it looked like when I bought it.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100 Std
          2003 Triumph Thruxton

Comment

FWIW.....my $.02 ...i have done this will all my equipment be it bikes, mowers, or whatever...

1. remove gas from tank/tanks
            1.5 consume summer beer from fridge....
            2. start engine and run dry (sometimes i use a fogging oil to lube stuff that will be sitting a long time)
            2.5 send SWMBO to store to stock afformentioned fridge with winter beer.
            3. drain all oils (engine, middle, final)
            3.5 check quality control of winter beer
            4. change filters
            4.5 confirm quality control of winter beer
            5. fill new oils to the max....keeps moisture out of it (not sure if its needed, but i do it anyway...)i take the key and hook a plastic card to it that says (DRAIN OVERFILL OILS!!!)
            5.5 beat on brother-in-laws head as to why my fairing for "ghost" isnt painted yet....which in turn requires replacement of electrolytes in the form of hops/barley/malt products
            6. check out everypart of machine...that way what $$ i need to spend i can budget and get parts over the winter to fix on the dreary days!!!

im sure i forgot something...but add those to your list!!!
            '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
            Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
            4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
            Windjammer(wiring issues)
            SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
            New paint/brakes to come!!
            ===============
            '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
            ===============
            '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
            Stock Pilots/125 mains
            Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
            SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
            LED Brake Lite
            Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Working...
            X