Middle and Final Drive Fill Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle and Final Drive Fill Bolts

Making some serious progress on the XJ....

Carbs are rebuilt (rehoned, new jets for altitude, etc) and back in. Need to get some inline fuel filters, cause holy cow that gas in the tank was foul. We'll be cleaning and resealing the tank this winter. I'm looking at re-routing the fuel lines, but I don't think I'll mess with it til winter.

Anyways, point of thread:

The fill bolts for the middle and final drive are in terrible shape. I swear, someone took a standard allen and stripped almost every bolt on this dang bike that takes an allen. Which, I'm discovering, is a LOT of bolts!

Anybody been able to successfully find a replacement for these bolts? I was thinking of taking one over to ACE and seeing what they have.
    Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
    Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

You can get new ones from your local yammarobbers. I think I paid $8 for one.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

They are regular 14mm metric oil pan bolts (same as a spark plug). Autozone has them, as does just about any auto parts store. The one for the final drive is a little picky, since you can't use one with a large flange, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. This is what the fill bolt looks like in my final drive:

1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Hi Smash,
        almost everybody's fill plugs have cratered out hexagonal sockets because the effin' stylists put them in where you can't push straight down on them to get them loose.
        Once you get yours out you can braze nuts on top or buy the 'Bug's oil pan plugs or I did see on this list that the units' hexagon headed drain plugs would fit there too.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          They are regular 14mm metric oil pan bolts (same as a spark plug). Autozone has them, as does just about any auto parts store. The one for the final drive is a little picky, since you can't use one with a large flange, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. This is what the fill bolt looks like in my final drive:

Oh hey ok thanks! Autozone is next door, I'll pop over there this afternoon and take a look.

Man, getting that rear one out was one heck of a butt pucker. Need to pick up a different allen to get the middle one out, but I'm expecting the same level on anxiety!

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post
            - - - Man, getting that rear one out was one heck of a butt pucker. Need to pick up a different allen to get the middle one out, but I'm expecting the same level on anxiety!
            Hi Smash,
            what I finally did to get those plugs out was to carefully file two flats on the plugs' edges to fit an open ended wrench.
            BTW, they'll come out easier next time if you put red fiber washers under them.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If you take a chisel and hammer, you can sink the chisel into the top of the middle drive fill bolt, and whack it with the hammer. One good whack is usually enough to break it loose. Of course, it puts a notch in the bold head, but you probably want to replace it with a hex head bolt anyway.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

You can get the bolts at bikebandit.com I did awhile back. sorry I dont remember how much they were.
                Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Definitely hoping to find a local source for these, as shipping usually kills the deal on anything this small.

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Definitely hoping to find a local source for these, as shipping usually kills the deal on anything this small.
                    Triple A Metric, (AAA Metric) has most metric bolts. The owner is sympathetic to bikes owners, so no hassle telling them what it is for.
                    They are between 1st and Ellsworth on Lipan.
                    Check the yellow pages.
                    CZ

Comment

Nylon washers work well with the fill plugs. Thy never get stuck.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                      X