fuel light off a special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel light off a special

so i am curious i think i read on here that someone wired the fuel light on the special guages to the sender unit of the standard tank and that it would light up the light and as the fuel was consumed the light would go dimmer is this correct and has anyone done/tried this with any success?
    1978 xs1100e
    1985 vmax 1200

Well if you have special gauges and a standard tank you can put the special's fuel level sending unit in the standard tank and it SHOULD function normally.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by paolo1 View Post
      so i am curious i think i read on here that someone wired the fuel light on the special guages to the sender unit of the standard tank and that it would light up the light and as the fuel was consumed the light would go dimmer is this correct and has anyone done/tried this with any success?
      Hi paolo,
      I did a trial hookup when I swapped a Standard tank onto my Special and yes, that's what happens when the Standard's float & arm sender is connected to the Special's red low fuel warning light.
      I did not consider this to be a "success" so I swapped the Special's thermistor sender into the Standard tank where it works as it should.
      Note that (for whatever reason) the sender ports on the two tanks are on opposite sides of the tank tunnel.
      This means the thermistor sender needs to be installed in a Standard tank with it's wires pointing forward instead of back.
      Otherwise it'll be upside down and only work the red light when the reserve is about a mile from sucking empty.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
      X