Nice hole in gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice hole in gas tank

I'm looking for suggestions on how to seal a hole in a gas tank. I hate to admit it, but I made the hole by forgeting a washer when putting the fairing back on my wifes Ninja 250. The screw will cut a nice round hole (there is a nice round flap that just folded back) in the tank if you forget to put the spacer in with the screw.

I don't really want to blow myself up with the gas fumes, but I do want to fix this thing. I think if I fill the tank with water, turn it so the hole is at the top and use a torch to heat the area and then solder the hole and flap closed, I'll be OK. I've read that you can really be surprised by the explosion in a tank, so I haven't tried to fix it yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Bill,

Have it welded by a professional. It will be fixed right and fixed forever. Don't waste your time or risk injury.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Bill,

Have it welded by a professional. It will be fixed right and fixed forever. Don't waste your time or risk injury.
      Hi Bill,
      I agree with Marty. A friend tried solder to fill in a series of pinholes. had to braze it in the end. He discussed the theory of filling the tank with gas but also lacked the conviction it would work so filled with water in the end.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I'll add here that if you braze, it could lead to trouble with the paint.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

You could put a liner kit in the tank. Fill the hole you have with Bondo or the like and then install the liner kit. JAT
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I have fixed gas tanks by rinsing out with water,blowing it out with air ,then let it sit for a day or so.No more fumes, or at least very minor.Never had one explode or even go wooooof.
            This has worked for me, obviously you need to pretty sure it's cleared out well.
            When I was a kid ,an older neighbor kid took dents out with gas.He emptied the tank and shook it with a couple drops in it, then dropped a match in it.It would have a small explosion and knock dents out. That was a little stupid.It seemed to work though.Just not very smart.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Sorry I didn't read this thread sooner

I believe this related to the Ninja 250.
              Right before the shop closed down three/four years ago, there was a tech bulletin (I believe for the 250) concerning the fairing/fuel tank screws. Seems some clown at the factory put the wrong length screws in some fairings and that they were puncturing the fuel tank.

Customers were asked to bring their bikes in for inspection... which consisted of taking the screws out and measuring them to see if'in they were the correct length, etc.

Now... if your bike falls under the year/ serial number of the bikes for recall/inspection (which I don't remember) you may get a new tank out of the deal.

If you're not the original owner, Kawasaki may have no record of you and wouldn't have been able to send out a notice instructing you to bring it in for a look-see.

Head to a Kawa dealership with your registration or serial number and let them run it through the computer to see if you fell under the bulletin.

Now... If you put the wrong screw in the wrong hole.... or your puncture is in an area other than where the recalled screws would have punctured the tank... you're out of luck, I suppose.

Just a thought.

Just found a link to some weasel lawyer who does lemon law stuff. Lists some of the year/models for the recall
              http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/safety-r...-fuel-tank.htm
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
              X