Fuel economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel economy?

I am aware that these bikes are gas guzzlers, but what would you say is average mpg?

Average for a decently tuned XS11 should be about low 30 MPG (thats a US gallon, not an imperial gallon.)

There are some who get upper 30s to low 40s depending on how heavy handed you get and how many highway miles you run, and how well tuned the carbs are.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

It really depends on how you ride. If you like to gun the throttle and you do a lot of city riding, low 32-34 is normal. If you cruise at 55mph for a whole tank, expect somewhere closer to 38-40 on the same bike.

I added a dynojet kit, and the 55mph cruise increased to 42+mpg

As always on these kinds of things, YMMV.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I normally get 32 mpg riding locally around town and back roads. I recently went on a day trip and averaged 42 mpg for one tank and I was riding 65 - 70 most of the time.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I was getting around 32 mpg in my commute (some freeway, some city, some stop and go!). That has dropped to around 29 recently but I am "playing" with the carbs at this point to find what got messed up..

But I would consider 32 around town pretty much normal.
          -- Clint
          1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Gas guzzler?

Sure my bike might get in the low 30s around town and upper 30s (at best) on the highway . . . but it still beats my 2000 Olds Intrigue. Okay . . . the Intrigue can haul more and it goes better through snow, but for exhiliration, the 1100 wins hands down! (I hope you realized I was kidding about the going through the snow part). Mileage is a relative thing!

Now that I think about it . . . when I was much younger, in my late teens, and more daring (translation "stupid"), I needed to get somewhere in March, and my parents car was not running (nor were they home, obviously). I took my Yamaha R-5 and managed to find a snow drift across the road, coming out of a turn . . . crazy time!

As long as your bike is getting fuel economy in the 30's, I would say that you're good!
            1979 F
            Mac 4-2 Exhaust
            T-Kat Fork Brace
            Spade Fuse Box Mod
            Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            140.0 Main Jets
            45.0 Pilot Jets
            266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

These old machines have been around long enough for many modifications. I think most of which have not been good for MPG. I've had mine since new and the only major change is the exhaust -- Jardine 4 into 2. I rarely if ever see MPG under 40 and most riding is 2up with a big fairing. Most times I check it's in the mid 40's. I probably run a little lean cause the headers are plenty blue, but after 55K miles it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by buggrin View Post
                These old machines have been around long enough for many modifications. I think most of which have not been good for MPG. I've had mine since new and the only major change is the exhaust -- Jardine 4 into 2. I rarely if ever see MPG under 40 and most riding is 2up with a big fairing. Most times I check it's in the mid 40's. I probably run a little lean cause the headers are plenty blue, but after 55K miles it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
                Hands down, biggest factor affecting mpg's is how far you twist your right wrist. My bike is stock and I rarely get 40 mpg's unless I'm cruising long distances. You start shifting 6500 rpm here and there and it drops fast.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I average 34 mpg and I am pretty heavy on the throttle. It stays about the same with a passenger but I am lighter on the wick and have speed control when she is with, a punch in the side and an earful of "slow %#*%ing down!"
                  Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

I have noticed that as well. I get horrible gas mileage especially on the highway. I live in Fort Wayne, IN and I had to travel to Columbia City for work for a month and a half. I went through a tank of gas in three days. My house to the Advance Auto Parts there was 21 miles. I don't think I did too bad but it seemed to go through gas quite a bit.
                    Current Rides, Restorations, and Projects:
                    1979 XS1100SF with 6400 original miles
                    1991 Nissan 240SX with RB25DET swap
                    1996 Honda Accord F22B build
                    1983 Mazda RX-7 stripped out
                    2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L

Previous rides:
                    2004 Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster Roadster
                    1992 Ford Tempo with a 1994 Ford Taurus front end (drinker's car)
                    1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE
                    2002 Ford Focus ZTS
                    1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, 270 HP 318/A727 auto tranny

If it ain't broke, make it faster...

Comment

I rode up A1A from Ormond Beach through and beyond Jacksonville. 40 MPH and 50 MPG!
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Dunno about solo mileage because I've only used the bike to haul a sidecar.
                        My rig gets perhaps 30 mpg, both in city driving and on the highway.
                        In comparison, the family 3.8 liter V6 Buick gets 28mpg highway mileage.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

On a bike run this year while ridding HARD! I got 28mpg but my carbs are a work in progress. During the first tank of fuel my throttle was more or less an "On / Off switch" Slow down into the corners and wide open around 5k rpm coming out, and there were a couple long straits where I had her running about 8k for a good 10 miles. Shifts were done around red line 90% of the time. For the bikes 1st trial by fire 28mpg wasn't good but it could be better. On the return trip I backed off the throttle and rode like a normal person. We filled up right before we turned around to head home. On the return trip I only use about 3/4 of a tank. I didn't clock the mpg on the return (broken speedo cable)
                          Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Comment

Mine runs like crap but I still get about 30.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

My 78 runs like a raped purse snatcher, or gets about 40 mpg, but not both....
                              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Working...
                              X