Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes Nate, I somehow got those kind of readings

Hi Nate,
    Those are the readings, obviously I have some calibration and some adjustment work, if youve kept reading the posts, it looks like I was doing it wrong with the middle synch screw. Thanks again.

QUOTE=natemoen;296879]So one and two are at 10ish and 3 and 4 are at 20ish, correct? did you then adjust the third sync screw in-between carb 2 and 3 that is for balancing 1/2 to 3/4?[/QUOTE]
    Bikes Now.
    80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
    79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
    83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
    83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
    08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Something else to think about...

I am using the honda four set of gauges with the damper associated with the gauge.
      When you adjust your dampeners you don't want to completely eliminate the needle bounce. Leaving a little bounce in them lets you know that you haven't completely shut off the dampeners and you're still getting readings from the carbs. JAT
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Success, thanks Geniuses of Synch

Hi Guys,

This is my report, that I was gonna do the other night, life intervened and stopped my from doing it then. I made a file of everything youz said, and voila, it runs as good as before, but will idle very smoothly at low rpm now when it wouldnt before. I guess maybe my bench synch from this spring wasnt so bad after all. Thanks again men.
        Bikes Now.
        80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
        79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
        83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
        83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
        08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Excellent Tom! Good job getting it running like a top!

A good becnh synch will get it in the neighborhood unless your engine compression is very inconsistant. But a good gage synch will still show results.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

We Gather Here Today in Order to Present....

<Polite clapping>

Nice, Tom.

Too bad there's no actual merit badge we can present to ya like they do in the boy scouts. Really, there's definitely a benchmark reached when an owner does his own carb sync succesfully.

Those merit badges would come in handy if we had a rally: the seasoned veteran would be easily distinguished from the newbies.

Comment

old post but I could'nt help it.

I know I'm a nerd when:
              Ideas like moto merit badges make me excited for a moment: "They Have Those? - I want some! - Oh wait"
              no more tired postes from me tonight. I promise.
              1980 XS1100LG (MNS)
              Tucson, AZ
              It's just like the beach, but with cactus and the tide comes in only a few times a year.

Be nice to scooters.
              How would you feel with out the ability to get away from the cars?

Comment

You'd have to have the badges on your leather vest of course. The one with the xs11.com patch on the back of it if any more of those ever get made. There would have to be a bunch of them, for things like carb sync, valve adjustment, carb cleaning, engine rebuild, engine change, FD swap etc.

There could even be categories of them for customizations, with special ones for hardtailing and such.

It would be kind of cool even if they were only computer graphics that someone could print out on a certificate or something like that for fun. It would be a fun kind of thing to be able to hand out at rallies.

We could even do some tongue in cheek ones like wheelie, parking lot drop, missed side stand and the like. This could be something we could have some REAL fun with. The hardest part would probably be designing some of the badges, but then, there may even be some already designed out there for some of these things.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

for the hardtailing it would just be a back brace that you would be given! no badge!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The merit badge

is the long black strip of rubber from the rear tire that you lay down on the asphalt!!!!!!
                    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                    Windjammer(wiring issues)
                    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                    New paint/brakes to come!!
                    ===============
                    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                    ===============
                    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                    Stock Pilots/125 mains
                    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                    LED Brake Lite
                    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Working...
                    X