xs11 chopper/driveshaft update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
    Nice work!! Looks very cool. What kind of frame is that?
    The frame started life as a stock 81 xs1100 special. All that remains of the stock is the steering neck and engine cradle. Everything else was hand made by yours truly.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
      Hi Fender,
      well, if you insist on taking a suspended bike back in time 70 years to when most bikes came with rigid frames,
      your extended frame and exposed drive shaft modification is definitely the way to do it.
      Congratulations on a great engineering job.
      Some touches remain?
      The exposed drive shaft would show to a better advantage after seeing a polishing wheel?
      And the front fender also stiffens the fork. How about getting the stiffness back by installing a T-kat fork brace instead?
      I was thinking of painting it like a barber pole. Or I guess I could polish it too. I am definitley finding out about the fork stiffness (or lack thereof). It still tracks straight, but she jerks around quite a bit on any real bumps. A fork brace is next on my list for sure. I also need to get the right speedo on it. The one on there is mainly for show. It's a 2:1 I had laying around.

Comment

Fender,

I was wondering how the single backbone tube affects the rigidity of the frame vs. the stock wishbone, knowing the shortcomings of our these frames when it comes to handling in the twisties. Is that single tube enough?
        I mean, the bike looks awesome. Love the bars and the tail light. Where's the tail light from?
        Congrats again.
        Last edited by Cobia; 09-15-2010, 11:14 PM.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

GEEEZ.... worrying about the single backbone and lack of a fender or fork brace?? This is a hardtail guys, and I'm pretty sure you'll reach it's handling limits long before either of these come into play. And if you're trying to find it's limits in the twisties, I hope your life insurance is paid up...

I will agree with Fred that the driveshaft needs a bit of 'finish', but that caused me to see one thing you probably should address; the 'shaft-to-FD spline is open. Are you running this 'dry' (I hope not, as I don't see it lasting long if you are), but if not, what keeps the grease in? You need some sort of 'boot' over this to retain the lube; maybe a small car axle CV boot would work?

I particularly like your battery and wiring boxes; nice detail.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The handling is actually pretty good. I chalk that up to a combination of factors. It's lighter and the center of gravity is much lower so it has a more balanced feel to it. I also put the progressive springs in the front forks. Crazy Steve is right, I would drag the pegs or the rear wheel would kick out long before I would tweak the frame. The backbone is .120" wall 1.25" od tubing with a 1/4" gusset at the neck joint. Pretty solid all around.

Also, the splines on the shaft are greased. It does kind of come out, but even if I put a boot on it the grease would still come out. Even on the stock swingarm the cover tube doesn't technically keep the grease in the splines, just catches it before it flies off. I can re-grease pretty easily in this case so I just keep an eye on it.

The tail light is an extended lens sparto that I powdercoated black. Was pretty cheap if I remember correctly. Needs a brighter bulb or led's though. Makes me nervous a little.
            Last edited by Crooked_Fender; 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM. Reason: added to it

Comment

Cool

Hi
              Nice job on the frame. Solo seats like yours fit/look better with a single backbone.
              Regards,
              Tdog
              '81 H

Comment

Fender,
                Giving your bike a second, maybe tenth look, it strikes me that your frame design is probably the best one I've seen to display the XS11 engine. Everything is dedicated to carry and show off that engine.
                Ditto, ManitoulinLad on that.
                I agree with Fred on dressing up the driveshaft, and wonder if you get any vibration from the clamp, being that it has the uneven weight distribution from the adjustment mechanism.
                I don't think the TKat fork brace will help you much since you're not going to be carving twisties or even going much over 80mph with your bike.
                And as Crazy Steve pointed out, outstanding treatment with the diamond plate work, deck, battery, and switch plate. Nicely done.
                Nate is lucky that he gets to lay eyeballs on it!!
                We don't usually like ppl deviating from stock, and then one like yours shows up to shake the tree.
                Welcome to the hood.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Crooked_Fender View Post
                  ...Also, the splines on the shaft are greased. It does kind of come out, but even if I put a boot on it the grease would still come out. Even on the stock swingarm the cover tube doesn't technically keep the grease in the splines, just catches it before it flies off...
                  Maybe something like this:http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-on-caps/=8vntvf

The 1 3/4" - 1 13/16" pliable vinyl looks like it would work. 25 for less than $9; just cut a hole for the shaft, push it over the shaft from the u-joint end, then push it over the OD of the input collar. Save you from having to clean grease off the bike or worry about crap getting into the splines...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

That is an awesome bike. I have a 79 Special that I am considering to make a hardtail out of but I have never seen what it looks like until now.
                    Current Rides, Restorations, and Projects:
                    1979 XS1100SF with 6400 original miles
                    1991 Nissan 240SX with RB25DET swap
                    1996 Honda Accord F22B build
                    1983 Mazda RX-7 stripped out
                    2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L

Previous rides:
                    2004 Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster Roadster
                    1992 Ford Tempo with a 1994 Ford Taurus front end (drinker's car)
                    1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE
                    2002 Ford Focus ZTS
                    1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, 270 HP 318/A727 auto tranny

If it ain't broke, make it faster...

Comment

The handling is actually pretty good. I chalk that up to a combination of factors. It's lighter and the center of gravity is much lower so it has a more balanced feel to it. I also put the progressive springs in the front forks. Crazy Steve is right, I would drag the pegs or the rear wheel would kick out long before I would tweak the frame. The backbone is .120" wall 1.25" od tubing with a 1/4" gusset at the neck joint. Pretty solid all around.
                      I'm not a hardtail guy, and generally get upset when someone cuts one of these bikes up, but I have to say, this one has some real class. I can appreciate something done right, and I actually wouldn't mind taking that one around the block once or twice. I'm not sure I'd want to go much further but I have a bad back.

Also, the splines on the shaft are greased. It does kind of come out, but even if I put a boot on it the grease would still come out. Even on the stock swingarm the cover tube doesn't technically keep the grease in the splines, just catches it before it flies off. I can re-grease pretty easily in this case so I just keep an eye on it.
                      I'd be more worried about grit and stuff getting in there and grinding away at that joint, and that would not be good rather than about the grease coming out, and I am pretty sure that is the main reason for the pretty much sealed assembly in stock form. I'd want to put some sort of a boot on something on there to keep as much stuff out of that joint as I could, just because I wouldn't care to have to keep replacing FD's and driveshafts. I would try to fab some sort of housing with a seal rather than a boot though, since you have a stationary part and a spinning part, but with the hardtail it shouldn't be moving up or down or anything so I would go with a bit of polishing in the right spot and try to some up with a seal or something (maybe a collar to increase the diameter so you could get the shaft in and out? But I would be real nervous about having that joint hanging in the wind so to speak.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                        ...I would try to fab some sort of housing with a seal rather than a boot though, since you have a stationary part and a spinning part...
                        Cy, both parts spin. That 'collar' is the same as the pinion splines...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

You guys are very kind and I appreciate the compliments more than I can say. You are right about the splines. After doing a little research it occcured to me that the v-max has a rubber ring seal covering that joint. The shaft I'm using has a circlip ring on it to retain that seal so I will probably go that route. Thanks for calling it to my attention! I would hate to have to replace that shaft, it was expensive. Oh, and I don't get any vibration from the hose clamp as far as I can tell.

Comment

After you look after that, any thoughts on what you might do for the crankcase breather? I see for now it is just open to atmosphere so it is obviously breathing fine. Maybe some sort of small chrome filter on a very short bit of hose so you can keep the bugs from crawling inside?

JAT.

Gotta say again, it sure does look sweet...
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

that is awesome

that is an awesome machine
                              YOu really shoudl post photos of it at The Horse Backstreet Choppers forum also. Good owrk!! Very inspirational for others.

Comment

How does the sissy bar get used with solo seat?

Do they squash fender down sitting on it or it it just for show? Like the bike, love the seat, but the bar looked odd to me.

I really like the look of the pods.

John
                                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                                X