Engine parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine parts

I have a '79 XS1100 special and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good site to order engine parts from, I have to do ring work this winter and I figured, since I'd have it apart, I might as well do everything I want such as put a different cam in it cause I read that they make different ones for it, and new valves, and anything else that I might happen to see that I like lol, the bike has pod filters and a 4 to 1 header with kerker exhaust that has the baffle out of it and I want to know how I find out what size jets to put in it, do I need to take it to a mechanic or what? Anything helps, let me know what you can and thanks ahead of time
    Eric Haarstad
    Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Not 100% positive, but I do not think you can get stock size rings anymore, but some have bought 1st iver and filed to fit in the stock bore.

Geezer is procuring S/S valves and reselling to the forum. Check with him on those. Otherwise I think you get "slightly" used ones from fleabay and the like.

As to cams, many have mixed and matched the cams from different years here. Dan Hodges has provided great info and feedback on his results. I think Big Daddy Funk put some cams into his HotRod bike Tinman just procured as well.

As to jetting, there is a guide on the forum of how to jet with what mods, but anyway you go about it you will need to do trial and see. Especially if you play with the cams. Then there is a couple who have gone to FI, so you could go that route.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

What's FI?
      Eric Haarstad
      Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

What's FI?
        (Electronic) Fuel Injection
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

As DGXSER said, STOCK rings are very hard to find, and will probably cost about $75 to $100 PER PISTON if you can get them. A big bore kit will help, in that you have new rings to go with the bigger pistons. That is also a $$$ way to go, about $650 now, but it will give you more HP and Torque. Cams can be had, but you MUST have a "core" cam to send out. They will be welded and reground to a different lift and duration. Stock '78/79 cams are the "hottest" of the engines, but the '78 advance had an extra 5 degree over the other years. You can also have the crank balanced, and the rods shot peened to relieve stress. I spent about $850 for that on a set that will be going into a '78 engine.
          Trying to do an engine WITHOUT spending over $1500 is a trick! there was a member here that spent over $5K on his engine, with all the dyno time counted in. His bike was fast, but it still wasn't as fast as the "new" 1 liter/over bikes. It just had a LOT MORE CLASS!
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If you want to get in on the valve order, you would have to do in in the next couple days. We were delayed by having to provide samples again and this has slowed things down...

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Ok, EFI helps lol, the FI just didn't ring any bells... anyways, i won't be needing valves just yet, i have to do some more thinking first...
              Eric Haarstad
              Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Rings

Hello,
                Check out this ring thread for options and opinion. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ight=%232c4451
                regards,
                Tdog
                '81 H

Comment

Big Bore

There is a couple of big bore kits for sale on Fleabay at the moment if you want to go that route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
                  BDF Special
                  80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                  Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Working...
                  X