Broken mixture screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken mixture screws

i have run into a problem and need some help. when i took the carbs apart i found 3 of the 4 mixture screw are broken and i cant get them out of the holes. i tried the push pin and sewing needle trick that i found on the forum. i do not want to drill them out. What can i do? here is my number if you want to give me a call 515-451-8144.
    79 xs 11 Special

Some have had good luck getting them out by putting the carbs in the freezer for a few hours then pushing them out.

mro

Comment

It's not the end of the world (but not helpful) if the holes are enlarged a little bit when pushing/drilling those tips out. Got a carb set over here like that, they run fine. They are just a bit more sensitive to tune.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I had to drill them out. Can i get a bigger mixture screw or am i stuck with useing the stock ones?
        79 xs 11 Special

Comment

Originally posted by jedi50036 View Post
          I had to drill them out. Can i get a bigger mixture screw or am i stuck with useing the stock ones?
          Hi jedi,
          how big did you drill them? We drilled out the middle carb on my son's XS750 (same style carbs as an XS11) and had to use a 1/16" drill bit instead of the correct 1mm drill bit because 1/16" is the smallest bit our drill press chuck can grip.
          The stock needle is the only one you can buy so you are stuck with using it. We found the carb worked just fine after; so long as it's needle was 3/4 of a turn further in than the other two.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

On two of my carbs that had the broken tips, I had to shorten the spring that sits under the screw head so the needle would go down further (to obtain proper mixture setting) to make up for the enlarged hole in the carb throat. The point of the needle is now visible looking down the carb throat but it works fine. You may or may not have to do this, it all depends on how large the hole is now.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I had to drill them. the hole is now 1/16". i got new screws and now it runs like a screeming monkey. thx all for the help.
              79 xs 11 Special

Comment

Working...
              X