No announcement yet.

Showa shocks are great!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a good question, so I have to defer to someone else on that.

The only thing I've heard is the air shocks (correct?) from an XJ can be adapted to an XS, but as for the Showa shocks that bolt straight on to the XS, I don't know if they would require modification (or the bike any modification) to go on an XJ.

Let the collective sort this one out, hope you get a solid answer.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Glad you like them.

Hey hbonser,

Thanks for your reports on the performance of these shocks on your bike under different riding conditions. I've only ridden, one up, around town and on the twisties at Suches, GA and I was impressed at the way they managed the swingarm.
      Fortunately, I didn't have to go through the trouble you did with the sleeves. Mine were missing three of them. Just went down to my local bike shop and picked them out of his spare parts inventory . (Sorted through two boxes of sleeves to find them, though.) Cost me two Hienekens.....
      As with you, mine bolted right on, no hassle what so ever.
      Regarding your lack of reference for adjusting your preload, mine have the stickers and I'll try to find some physical points of reference you can use to determine where you are, and maybe where you want to go.
      BTW - You don't need a special tool to adjust them, an oil filter strap tool will do the job.
      RE - The XJ shocks - They will fit, I have a J as well. As a matter of fact I was looking for a set of those but had second thoughts because of the hassle of keeping them inflated all the time. So I went with the Showas - simple solution for me, and I like the way they look as well.
      Last edited by Cobia; 10-08-2010, 08:19 PM.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Showa adjustment

Hey hbonser,

Sorry Bud, I checked for any physical marks to be used as reference points in adjusting your shocks and didn't find any.
        Nonetheless, maximum preload is all the way counterclockwise as you look at the shocks from the bottom up. Since they're installed, go all the way left with them. There are 5 levels of preload.
        I weigh 240lbs and mine are set a the maximum, i.e. - 5 and that suits me just fine.
        Hope this helps some.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Thanks Cobia, I'll adjust them accordingly! I really like the shocks as they came, but didn't even bother to check if they were even set the same to begin with I got so jazzed on putting them on!

I'll report back once I've had a chance to ride with them if they aren't already on pos. #5.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I know what you mean about getting jazzed up to get them on the bike. I had mine on the same day I got them!!!! But I'm fortunate to have a bikeshop nearby that's been in operation for 30 years and has a lot of vintage stuff laying around in their parts stock.
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
              That's a good question, so I have to defer to someone else on that.

The only thing I've heard is the air shocks (correct?) from an XJ can be adapted to an XS, but as for the Showa shocks that bolt straight on to the XS, I don't know if they would require modification (or the bike any modification) to go on an XJ.

Let the collective sort this one out, hope you get a solid answer.
              The shocks from an XJ are pretty close to bolt on (just had to trim a tiny bit off the outside of the ring on the bottom to fit into the holder) so I'm pretty sure that anything that bolts onto the XS will bolt right onto the XJ since it clearly has more clearance around the lower mounting point (this is on the non-fd side, the fd side fits just fine as it is).
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Update

After a good number of miles on the new Showa shocks, I give them a thumbs up! They ride great (I weigh 275# plus gear) and look really good. Again, this is probably one of the more functional upgrades/replacements that anyone could do to their XS.

Now I just have to find the time to do the final drive swap to the XS750 rear end that I bought recently. That, plus a plexifaring wind screen I read about on this forum will make my 80 Special an even better road bike for extended runs.
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Rock 'n Roll!!

Glad the're performing as well for you as they are for me. Did you finally adjust them?
                  And yeah, the windshield is a must for a cruiser intended for long miles ahead.
                  I have this one on my G

[IMG][/IMG]

One important caveat though, make sure whatever windshield you get has venting ports where you can allow some incoming air. Two reasons for this:
                  1- You need air in the heat of summer, I had to take mine off this summer.
                  2- At highway speeds the shield creates a vacum which pulls you toward the front of the bike, much like drafting in car racing. On long rides this becomes very stressfull on your hands, wrists, and shoulders. Opening the vents will reduce this vacuum pull on your body.
                  Good luck bud.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Hey, that's a nice looking Standard Cobia. That 'screen looks just like the one I was eyeing from JC Whitney. Plexifairing 3 I believe.

You know, I didn't adjust the shocks. Haven't been on it in 3 weeks (until I rode to work yesterday) and honestly I totally forgot to do it or check. I'm changing the oil this afternoon so I will adjust them if there are any positions to go to the left, and see how she rides when out warming it up before the oil change.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Thanks for the compliment on the G, hopefully the J will turn out as well.

Hey, I was looking around on fleabay and found this windshield. Could be a real deal for you. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Natio...item3a5fec8694
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Question about the shocks. Are they rebuildable if need be?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate,
                          They're factory shocks so I doubt they are. But for the price..... just get another set when they wear out.
                          1980G Standard, Restored
                          Kerker 4 - 1
                          850 Rear End Mod
                          Automatic CCT
                          1980GH Special, Restored
                          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Can't find any cheap ones at the moment.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey Natemoen,

I paid $60-$80 for my pair last fall from ebay, inc. shipping, can't remember exactly the price. I haven't ridden on anything except for the stock shocks, and can say even when the stock shocks didn't appear to be leaking early on in my ownership, the new-used Showa's are way ahead of the comfort and control vs. stock.

Here's a link to a pair that might be worth looking at? The seller states this pair has some pitting, but the picture doesn't look too bad. Plus, it's for a pair instead of a single shock like most sellers are doing. That way they are "matched" in terms of coming from the same bike, same miles on each shock, etc. Just be sure they will fit, but they look like the same ones I got from an earlier Shadow model. Maybe even contact the seller, and ask if he'll sell them to you outright instead of waiting out the auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-Ho...item1e63e6d509

I was picky when I got mine, and wanted a pair that was is in really good outward condition, so was willing to pay a bit more than maybe I had to, but I got what I wanted.

Keep us posted if you get some and how you rate them.
                              Last edited by Bonz; 05-28-2011, 08:26 AM.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                              X