My recent aquisition to my fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My recent aquisition to my fleet

I would like to thank Big Daddy Funk for the opportunity to purchase his "Hot Rod" . I went to his place in North Bay Ontario and picked up the now BDF Special.

Here's a shot of a couple of my 80SG .

BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

A little more info...

To be a little more precise. 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Mikes XS green coils and air pods, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler, Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.
    Best of luck bro. Enjoy and hang on tight.
    BDF
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

NICE. What's it like to ride that beast?
      '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

I know I could search, but how bout some shots from the other side? Nice bikes.
        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
          NICE. What's it like to ride that beast?
          Well I wasn't expecting too much difference between my stock SG and BDF HotRod but when I took it for my first ride. I was shock with the torque and the top end horsepower band . I had a grin on my face that would not go away for days haha! The torque is unbelievable it will rip the handle bars out of your hands if you don't hold on and the top end is more than I will ever use. The exhaust has been modified also and the sound is just amazing.

Rick has built an amazing bike the time and effort he has put into this bike is beyond what I would ever imagine. This bike has the ability to reach over 120 mph fast and with no effort.

I plan to swap over my Vetter fairing and bags so I can enjoy this bike when the colder temps arrive but look forward to next spring when the chain drive and swing arm conversion is installed . The Vetter package will most likely come off again.

Here's a few pics of the other side

Last edited by tinman905; 09-12-2010, 03:07 PM. Reason: to add pics
          BDF Special
          80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

Nice looking bike. How do you like that Saddleman seat on your other SG? I have been contemplating buying one.
            1981 XS1100H

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead.

Comment

Maybe I should make another thread and ask but, how do you tune a baffle?
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by TexinMaine View Post
                Nice looking bike. How do you like that Saddleman seat on your other SG? I have been contemplating buying one.
                I love it! It's very comfortable on long rides but I have reshaped the foam under pad with a mini grinder .First was to reduce my seat height and then I formed it for comfort. It really made a difference shaping the foam with a mini grinder .

The seat foam and cover was hanging over my tank a bit more than I liked so I shaved it back a bit.I found it was marring the paint on my tank just a bit higher than I liked. I was lucky after a couple of test runs I managed to remove just enough foam in all the right places. It wasn't difficult to do but taking a small amount off each time will insure you don't spoil the seat entirely.
                BDF Special

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                  Hi Duwayne,
                  Not sure of the technicallities but I do know a winter spent on the Dyno with a full fab shop and expert tuner had something to do with it

Perhaps BDF would like to explain (using small words)
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

The only way I know is using a Dyno and having a friend with a $40,000 Dyno really helps.
                    BDF Special

Comment

Baffled

I would imagine that all the header/exhaust companies have engineers to do mathematical equations to figure out flow rates and such.
                      Us backyard guys have to do trial and error to narrow down exhausts pipes and baffle sizes.
                      Starting with a quality head pipe from a good manufacturer is a great start.
                      4 into 1 system seems to produce the best results.
                      Tuning a baffle is best done on a dyno. Start with a stock size baffle and do a pull. Move up a1/4 inch in diameter and do another pull. Continue size increases until the HP and Torque numbers stop climbing. That would be a tuned baffle to your current engine tune,
                      Having done that, further increases are possible by changing carb flow, jet sizes, ignition and cam timing and a host of other things, all of which may neccesitate another baffle change.
                      If you have a muffler can with a removable baffle, making a straight flow through baffle is not difficult with some perforated metal and insulation wrap.
                      It is amazing how much torque and HP you can get from a good dyno tune.
                      With the help of a good tuner most bikes will get a 10% increase with no hard parts changed.
                      BDF
                      I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

With a Supertrapp can, tuning is made easy.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
                          I would imagine that all the header/exhaust companies have engineers to do mathematical equations to figure out flow rates and such.
                          Us backyard guys have to do trial and error to narrow down exhausts pipes and baffle sizes.
                          Starting with a quality head pipe from a good manufacturer is a great start.
                          4 into 1 system seems to produce the best results.
                          Tuning a baffle is best done on a dyno. Start with a stock size baffle and do a pull. Move up a1/4 inch in diameter and do another pull. Continue size increases until the HP and Torque numbers stop climbing. That would be a tuned baffle to your current engine tune,
                          Having done that, further increases are possible by changing carb flow, jet sizes, ignition and cam timing and a host of other things, all of which may neccesitate another baffle change.
                          If you have a muffler can with a removable baffle, making a straight flow through baffle is not difficult with some perforated metal and insulation wrap.
                          It is amazing how much torque and HP you can get from a good dyno tune.
                          With the help of a good tuner most bikes will get a 10% increase with no hard parts changed.
                          BDF
                          Hi BDF,
                          OK Now tell them about the inlet side
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                          X