My Rear End Sneezed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Rear End Sneezed!!

Well the final drive apparently did!! Got my replacement Sowas today and when I went out to compare them and check for fit, this is what I discovered:

[IMG][/IMG]

I checked the lubricant level with the palstic dispstick and it showed it was totally full.

The only place where the FD shows any sign of oil is in about a 4" to 6" section of the inner plate of the FD as shown here. Notice the oily spot then the clean areas:
    Dirty:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Clean:
    [IMG][/IMG]

It seems as if there was built up pressure that was released momentarily but the seal is not compromised enough to allow a continuous leak...wtf??
    Is there a way to check the breather for the FD?
    Any and all ideas are welcome.
    Thanks
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Is there a way to check the breather for the FD?
    Use a rubber tipped blow nozzle with low pressure 5-10 lbs and blow in the fill hole.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

Hey SFerinTX,
      Good idea, don't know why I didn't think of that....
      Unexpected surprises and frustration numbs the mind!!!!
      I'll try that and see what happens.
      Thanks
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Just thought of another aspect. Stop the air and pull the blower away real quick and see if you get any blowback out of the filler.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

Sounds as though vent on top is restricted.....they are permanently affixed so maybe someone knows a neat trick to open them up with out damaging.......eeeeekk
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

SF,
            That should be easy enough to do...thanks.
            Moto,
            My fears exactly. Although this is a 'low mileage' 850 FD on it now, I have the original in the attic ready for action if the need arises. Just don't want to undo the mod.
            I just wanted to put the showas on and test them out, not deal with a pissing FD. Can't wait to put them through their paces!!
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Any chance that might be grease from the splines where the wheel attaches to the final drive? If there was a bit of extra grease and it got warm enough, it might drip out like that when the bike was parked. The smell of it should confirm one or the other, as the gear oil in the final drive has an unmistakeable smell.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Sometimes you will notice extra grease after you travel at a higher than normal rate of speed.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It's definitely grease, BikerPhil and I really lubed it up well when we did the FD mod. And recently I did a high speed 90mi. run on the slab.
                  I guess I just didn't notice until now, I've ridden it since that ride and didn't notice any issues with the FD.
                  Thanks again folks.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

I overgreased the splines on my final drive the a couple tires changes ago. It looked just like that when the extra grease made exit.

Patrick
                    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                    1969 Yamaha DT1B
                    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Working...
                    X