Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil resistance values

hey there!
    it's raining out here today so i thought i would work with my stock coils a bit today to see if they could be salvaged, i wanted to see if some of you folks who have been working on these things could give me some insight into what i have found......first, the temp. is 80.3 degrees F. when i took these mesurments and i took them with a clark multimetter, with the coils removed from the bike, on both coils i got a value of 1.7 ohms across the primary wires, my clymers says 1.5 +/- 10% at 68 deg. F., the secondary resistance i measured without the caps on the wires first....on the 2&3 coil the secondary resistance is 15.97 kilo ohms, and on the 1&4 coil the secondary resistance is 15.46 kilo ohms. again this value was obtained without the caps on the wires......i measured the resistance of the caps as well ( i remember reading something about those values on the forum but can't find the articile), the caps were as follows: 2) 4.28 kilo oms, 3)4.99 kilo ohms, 1) 7.14 kilo ohms, and 4) 7.94 kilo ohms, (the reason i took the caps off was to clean them and cut back the coil wire by about 1/2 in to give it a better bite when i reassembled them), with the caps on i get these readings for secondary resistance at 78.8 deg. F. 2&3 = 25.2 kilo ohms, 1&4 = 30.5 kilo ohms, (measured with the caps on the wires), my clymers says 15 kilo ohms at 68 deg. F. i'm not sure how much a differance the temp. would make on the readings and i don't know how to adjust for the difference, so if someone out there who knows these things could offer some insight i would be in your debt!!
    thanks in advance and sorry about the spelling!!
    tony

by the way

by the way my bike is a 79 xs1100 special!!!
    thanks again!!!

Comment

Temperature makes very little difference unless it is -40 or 200+. Resistance can change somewhat with temperature, but it has to be a huge difference to matter much. If you have a solid/clean connection on the wire/cap makes much more difference.

The caps should be about 5K ohms each, at least one of mine were 8K ohm, but the bike ran fine. For the $3 a new cap costs I changed mine the new ones were almost right on 5K.

15K ohms secondary is exactly right when measuring through the caps (from the tech tip) so it sounds to me like your coils and caps are OK.

Check out this tip on the coils:
      Coil FAQ
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

thanks for the reply!!
        when i tested the secondary resistance on both coils i did it first with the spark plug conectors off and got 15.97 kilo ohms on one and 15.46 kilo ohms on the other.....i then cleaned and reintalled the spark plug conectors (after cutting about 1/2 in. off the plug wires to get to some newwer wire) i made sure that the conections were good and tight and retested the secondary resistance and got these values: 25.2 kilo ohms one one and 30.5 kilo ohms on the other....

Comment

Working...
        X