Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Problems...

Hey everyone,
    Im sitting here with my xs pretty torn apart trying to figure out the problem with my headlight.

It just went out, I don't recall when or how it happened, but I was riding with my dad and he noticed while we were on the road.

We bought a new bulb and had no luck. Checked the fuses and the Headlight fuse was blown. After replacing them still nothing, and we also noticed the dash lights don't light up. The blinkers and horn on the left hand control DO work, and we have checked the headlight connections for any sort of current, and recieved spikes that it seemed to be good.The bulb also does light up when to another power source.

I'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems? Could it be the headlight relay? and if so, where would I find it?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
    -Matt B.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than some people live in a lifetime."

1980 XS1100 Special

Bakmatj,

Yep, it's your headlight relay. The stock relay is unique in that not only does it turn the headlight and instrument lights on once the voltage kicks up when the engine is running, but it has a "latch" that keeps the lights on if the bike stalls and the ignition is still in the on position. Make sense?

The relay is right under the tank mounted to the frame, hanging down, held in place in a rubber "grommet" that surrounds it, to reduce vibration I assume.

When mine went out, I went to Pep Boys, with the old relay in hand, and went through the catalog of relays that they have, and matched up the posts/terminals on the old one with one that basically was identical, except for the new one doesn't have the "latch" feature, and when the engine dies, the relay shuts down and the lights go out. Otherwise, it's identical in function to the old one.

Cost very few $$ compared to finding an OEM relay with the "latch" feature.

I don't feel like taking the tank off right now otherwise I would take a look and give you a part number for the relay.

Should be able to find them at most any auto parts store, not just Pep Boys. Easy fix.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

If you need to bypass the headlight relay (under the fuel tank up by the coils) you can unplug it and jump the red/yel and the blu/blk wires in the connector. This should turn on the headlight with the key. I would check the fuse box terminals if you have the old style glass fuses, they don't make good contact and can cause many electrical gremlins. Glass fuses also can appear ok but are broken inside. It's best to replace the box with a blade type. HTH
      Last edited by bikerphil; 09-08-2010, 09:15 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Andreas has some of those relays available. I would imagine the price would be preferable to the local yamarobber.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Replaced my headlamp relay with a standard bosch style relay from napa, three or four bucks, don't exactly remember. I crimped on some female 1/4" insulated spade terminals. Black to terminal 85, yellow to 86, red/yellow to 30, and blue/black to 87. These colors are for the 78E some others the yellow wire is white
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
            Bakmatj,

Yep, it's your headlight relay. The stock relay is unique in that not only does it turn the headlight and instrument lights on once the voltage kicks up when the engine is running, but it has a "latch" that keeps the lights on if the bike stalls and the ignition is still in the on position. Make sense?

The relay is right under the tank mounted to the frame, hanging down, held in place in a rubber "grommet" that surrounds it, to reduce vibration I assume.

When mine went out, I went to Pep Boys, with the old relay in hand, and went through the catalog of relays that they have, and matched up the posts/terminals on the old one with one that basically was identical, except for the new one doesn't have the "latch" feature, and when the engine dies, the relay shuts down and the lights go out. Otherwise, it's identical in function to the old one.

Cost very few $$ compared to finding an OEM relay with the "latch" feature.

I don't feel like taking the tank off right now otherwise I would take a look and give you a part number for the relay.

Should be able to find them at most any auto parts store, not just Pep Boys. Easy fix.
            I'll have to look up how, but it's really easy to turn that relay into a latching one. All that is needed is a diode from the terminal powered by the relay being on, to the one that gets it's juice from the charging system. Then once it kicks in it stays on till the power to the light is interupted. It's a pretty simple circuit really.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              I'll have to look up how, but it's really easy to turn that relay into a latching one. All that is needed is a diode from the terminal powered by the relay being on, to the one that gets it's juice from the charging system. Then once it kicks in it stays on till the power to the light is interupted. It's a pretty simple circuit really.
              I would like to know how to do this!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey all,

After running through all my wires, checking connections, and some cleaning I reassembled my bike. Nothing worked so frustrated we put the bike back together. Just for kicks, I hit the ignition to find the headlight to turn right on.
                I didn't exactly find the problem, maybe a bad connection or some corrosion, but it works now and I got to learn a little more about my bike!

Thanks for the help, I'll just hope the problem stays away!
                -Matt B.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than some people live in a lifetime."

1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by Bakmatj View Post
                  Just for kicks, I hit the ignition to find the headlight to turn right on.
                  So, originally the headlight was out, which turned out to be a blown fuse. You replaced the fuse, but still no headlight. Then, the headlight came on after you hit the ignition (maybe starter?)switch. By any chance, did you also hit the ignition switch right after you installed the new fuse? The headlight is actually not supposed to come on when you first turn on the ignition. It comes on after the engine cranks a bit, after a certain amount of power is produced by the alternator.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                  X