XS compared to XJ ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS compared to XJ ?

There is a plethera of knowledge on this site guys and I thought a good challenge would be proposed here.

What are the major differences between the XS11 and the XJ11?
    Please support your statements (non-biased)

I just read a great article about the XS11, but I would like to know how the XJ11 is in comparison to the XS11
    1982 XJ1100J Maxim
    MAC 4-1 Megaphone Exhaust
    Chicago Area
    Working on/Looking For:
    Crash Bars
    Saddle Bags
    Taller Sissy Bar
    Turn Signals (all 4)
    Windshield
    A Lot of Little Stuff

Originally posted by chanley28 View Post
    There is a plethera of knowledge on this site guys and I thought a good challenge would be proposed here.

What are the major differences between the XS11 and the XJ11?
    Please support your statements (non-biased)

I just read a great article about the XS11, but I would like to know how the XJ11 is in comparison to the XS11
    Looks. The xs specials lookk soooooo much better tha the xjs...

How's that to start a war?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Never owned an XJ11 so I have no idea what the performance differences are. A number of technical changes were made, and the apparently the air box and carb removal difficulty was increased exponentially!

They got them swirly looking wheels, a linked brake system, side stand switch, oil level indicator (I can be taught). Also a battery sensor. They updated/upgraded the TCI to the 10M model which incorporates the vacuum advance as well as the mech advance and added a vacuum sensor under the tank. About everything besides the drive train (including swing arm IIRC) and wheels will not directly interchange to an XS. The tank looks alot cooler IMO, and carries more fuel. The carbs got a cable controlled choke assy.

about all I can pull off the top of my head.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Don't forget about the YICS peformance intake system.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

The seat is easier to remove! It hinges up from the side with a latch instead of the 2-bolt system of the XS's.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

.... and a different alternator (with slip rings vs the 'brushless' XS unit)...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              .... and a different alternator (with slip rings vs the 'brushless' XS unit)...
              ...which increases output amps from 22A (XS) to 26A (XJ).
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Whatever, none of them look as nice as an '81 Midnight Special...
                right bug?
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                  Whatever, none of them look as nice as an '81 Midnight Special...
                  right bug?
                  LOL! Well, he said no bias... But yes, you're definitely right!
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Nobody said anything about the electronic "control panel" between the speedo and tach!
                    And the 1980 MNS is a better machine!(than the '81)
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Carb setups & jetting are all different...

Heads & valves were different... not in a good way, either! (Emissions standards in 1982 were tighter...)

Frames are different, w/ extra braces for reinforcement...

Stock seats were forged in the flames of Hades...

Side covers are unique to the XJ.

Exhaust systems were unique... IMHO, the best looking & sounding, too!

Ohhh... let's don't forget that great cable lock out the right side, too!

Personally, after owning one for almost 2 years now, I prefer the XJ looks over any of the other XS line. They took the improved lines of the Special and made it even better... especially by putting on the bigger 5.1 gl tank!

And now, as the recent proud, new owner of a mint '79 F w/ around 5000 original miles... I say, give me a couple a years... and we'll see if I change my mind!

HeHeHe... my stable is beginning to grow...
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Ah, you 'Special' and XJ guys... doncha know that the these were just Yamaha's marketing effort to make their flagship look more like a Harley? Buckhorn bars, 'stepped' seat, 'extended' forks, all this was taken from HD. Not saying the bikes look bad as they are handsome, but...

Now, the 'standard' doesn't have that problem; see a standard and there's no doubt as to what it is. Nothing else looks like that. And while the styling tends to be 'love it or hate it', you'll never be mistaken for anything else. Truthfully, I didn't care for my '78s looks when I first got it, but it grew on me over time and I wouldn't think of changing it's 'square' theme now...
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                          Ohhh... let's don't forget that great cable lock out the right side, too!
                          That cable wasn't unique to the XJ. The later Specials had them too, as did the MNS.

Though, I can't see how the LG is a better machine than the LH... The linked brakes, improved advance system, simplified front calipers, and, of course the nice swirly wheels all make for a much better machine, IMO. Of course, I AM a bit biased.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Differences between an XJ and XS

You might want to look at this thread:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=difference
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                            X