Reed valve; breather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reed valve; breather?

(?) Anybody ever installed a reed valve (one-way) on the crankcase breather tube on one of these fine transverse-4 XS11 engines? Or any other 2, 3, or 4 cylinder motorcycle engines?
    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

I had one on mine when I got it, and it was all clogged up with oil and gunk. The other end should be connected to the airbox, but if you've removed the airbox, most folks just put a small air filter thingy on the end and strap it up inder the seat.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Had been thinking about trying one like is shown on 'MikesXS'. I use the cone filters, so would definitely have a 'collector' or some kind of filter on the end of the line, and keep track of it, to not get clogged up.
      JCarltonRiggs

Comment

I've got one on mine. I just went to the local autoparts store and found a PCV valve that fit where I wanted to mount it, and put it right on the end of the breather hose with a little filter on the end of the valve. Works like it's supposed to, but it won't keep it from gassing you out at the stop lights. That's probably a good indication of when it's getting plugged up though - no fumes when fully warm should be the indicator of 'time to change the valve.' Or you can just check like you do with a car - shake it and see if you hear the rattle.
        Last edited by dbeardslee; 09-02-2010, 04:54 PM.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Yep; had also thought about going to the local autoparts store and getting some type of PCV valve to accomplish the same result. Dbeardslee, did you notice any difference~~engine response~~after putting the PCV valve on the breather line?
          JCarltonRiggs

Comment

I think Mikes claims a couple hp increase, but it's not something your going to notice. The reason I put it on was to hopefully get a little negative pressure inside the crankcase. I figure the less air pressure there is on the oil, the less likely it's going to find a way out.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
              I think Mikes claims a couple hp increase, but it's not something your going to notice. The reason I put it on was to hopefully get a little negative pressure inside the crankcase. I figure the less air pressure there is on the oil, the less likely it's going to find a way out.
              PCV is not a vaccum generator, just a one way valve, therefore your crank pressure will never be negative, or less than it would on any other give day... Crank pressure is always greater than atmosphere thats why "air" comes out of the case... ... but you already knew that, just pointing it out to people who didnt know.
              Last edited by WMarshy; 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                PCV is not a vaccum generator, just a one way valve, therefore your crank pressure will never be negative, or less than it would on any other give day... Crank pressure is always greater than atmosphere thats why "air" comes out of the case... ... but you already knew that, just pointing it out to people who didnt know.
                Hmmmmmmmmmm
                Last edited by natemoen; 09-03-2010, 11:11 AM.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The pistons, and specifically the blow by past the rings is what creates the pressure, and it's created in pulses. The pcv valve prevents air from re-entering through the breather hose in between the pulses. Gotta disagree - I believe it does lower the pressure.

Comment

I have one that I picked up from Mike's, but never put it on. I was thinking it would be as good as a breather filter because it's closed unless there is force pushing out. If it added hp then that was ok too. Then had second thoughts because it was for a 650. I'll try it out.
                    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                    79 DT 100

Comment

The pistons, and specifically the blow by past the rings is what creates the pressure, and it's created in pulses. The pcv valve prevents air from re-entering through the breather hose in between the pulses. Gotta disagree - I believe it does lower the pressure.
                      While I do agree there will be pressure pulses from the individual pistons, the fact remains that the internal net pressure of the crank case remains positive and greater than atmosphere, if vented to atmosphere. The differential pressure between the crank case and the atmoshpere provide the force to expell the fumes. The correct application of a PCV generally requires the lower pressure (outlet) side of the valve to be hooked to the intake plenum, where by it would create a vaccum due to the lower than atmospheric pressure in the plenum. Without hooking the exhaust side of the PCV up to the plenum I dont see how it would be any lower than atmosphere... Hope that isnt as muddy as it was in my head.
                      Last edited by WMarshy; 09-03-2010, 12:43 PM.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

If there was always positive pressure on it the valve would never close.

Comment

Yep, thats what Im sayin... If that wasnt true, your theory would mean the PCV cycles open/closed potentially up to two times for every piston that completes a revolution..? for a total of 8 times for every revolution of the crank...?
                          Last edited by WMarshy; 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM.
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

Comment

Here's what wikipedia has to say about it -

Before the invention of crankcase ventilation in 1928, the engine oil seals were designed to withstand this pressure, oil leaking to the road surface was accepted, and the dipstick was screwed in. The hydrocarbon rich gas would then diffuse through the oil in the seals into the atmosphere. Subsequently, it became an emissions requirement as well as a functional necessity that the crankcase have a ventilation system. This must maintain the crankcase at slightly less than atmospheric pressure under light load conditions and recycle the blow-by gas back into the engine intake.

Comment

If there was always positive pressure on it the valve would never close.
                              The valve actually is designed to allow a certain amount of vacuum to be applied to the crankcase instead of the crankcase being vented to air. The valve by itself would from what I know of their operation actually increase the pressure in the crankcase with no vacuum applied to the other side. Here is a wikipedia article on the device.

I think it explains things reasonably well.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X