No announcement yet.

Start off slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a strap wrench around the clutch basket and an impact gun on the nut. I have used the Yamaha special tool in this situation long ago and it bent into a pretzel.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by mmaddix View Post
      Hello,
      I have a spare engine that I want to do the 1st and 2nd gear fix to. The problem is i don't know how to take the main nut for the clutch basket off since I have nothing to stop the gears from spinning because the engine is not on a bike. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
      Mark
      I've just had the same problem with an FJ1200 engine.
      So i bought a cheap impact driver and whacked it a few times with a big hammer, and job done.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
        I've just had the same problem with an FJ1200 engine.
        So i bought a cheap impact driver and whacked it a few times with a big hammer, and job done.
        I feel stupid now. The big hammer worked with a regular socket and ratchet. The problem now will be installing with the proper torque. I will probably try a strap wrench to hold the basket.

Thanks everyone.
        USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
        78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

Comment

You're going to pull the pan to get to the gears anyway, why not figure a way to jam something (preferably something that won't damage them) into the trans gears to stop rotation....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...