No announcement yet.

Getting a package from USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all your responses. The item I wanted was on eBay, a mounting bracket for a Windjammer Fairing for an xs1100.

The item sold for $20.00 but I could not pay $221.02 for shipping. Now I am looking for any plans, drawings, templates, measurements, pictures, etc. that would mount the Windjammer IV Fairing on my xs1100sh.

I understand that the mount is the same for all xs1100's regardless of the year.
    If you have any info that would help me, I would be eternally grateful.
    1981 XS1100 Special
    Previous Bikes
    1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
    1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
    1982 Honda CB900c
    1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
    1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

For next time you have 3 options.

1) get someone near the border to pick it up, bring it up, and then do CDN shipping.

2) easier and smarter. Get it shipped to general delivery ( or a buddy) at the closest border point to you. Then nip down and pick it up. Make sure that you have your invoice with you, and things should go OK.

3) Better yet, have it shipped to a USA buddy ( near you), pop down for the weekend, drink beer, install it, and call it a good road trip!

In the words of Sgt Schultz (Hogans Heros) ``I know Nutzing``

If you really need a BC address, as long as you take care of shipping and customs, I guess that I could act as a forwarder. PM if needed.
      1982 XJ1100

Comment

This type of shipping across the border is exactly what keeps me from buying the standard luggage rack that fredintoon has, even though I need one. A $20 rack just aint worth $100 in shipping. It seems like there is a conspiracy to keep sales from going on across the borders. For all that NAFTA was supposed to remove barriers, I can't say I have seen it get easier to buy things from Canada or sell things to Canadians Eh?
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
          This type of shipping across the border is exactly what keeps me from buying the standard luggage rack that fredintoon has, even though I need one. A $20 rack just aint worth $100 in shipping. It seems like there is a conspiracy to keep sales from going on across the borders. For all that NAFTA was supposed to remove barriers, I can't say I have seen it get easier to buy things from Canada or sell things to Canadians Eh?
          Wow! that invites a political discussion.......naaaa, thought better of it
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Shipping has become expensive, whether or not it crosses the border. In this case, dimensional weight is the issue. The box is too big!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

What a great site! Everyone so helpful.

I was trying to find an inexpensive (not $221.02) to ship a mount from the USA. I had a good response to my post but, no go.

Then I asked for help/info so I could try to fabricate one myself. Another good response to my query. Then Bullet posted a pic of the mount I need and is going to sell it to me for the low, low price of $40.00... But wait!!! not only for the low, low price of $40.00... that price includes the cost of shipping!!!

Thanks a bunch for all the help.

Before I install the mount I will post pics, measurements and if I can, drawings of it so we have it for future reference.

Thanks again, David
              1981 XS1100 Special
              Previous Bikes
              1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
              1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
              1982 Honda CB900c
              1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
              1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                This type of shipping across the border is exactly what keeps me from buying the standard luggage rack that fredintoon has
                Say what, fredintoon might have the luggage rack I need for SWMBO's ride? Got pictures, fred?
                Ken Talbot

Comment

I used to use UPS for shipping stuff from the States through to BC. All bulky items are subject to "volume weight" calculations of 10, sometimes 15 lbs / cft. Even small, heavy packages were expensive through UPS because of their brokerage charges. Now I just get stuff shipped to a drop point just across the border (US side) and pick it myself and do my own customs entry. The UPS rates for domestic (US -US) shipments are about 1/3 the cost of having them bring it across the border. Also doing your own B-3 entries saves using and paying for a customs broker.
                  1980 XS 1100 Special
                  Mostly stock & original
                  Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
                  Torpedo bags
                  New paint (still) pending
                  Stainless brake lines
                  Tkat forkbrace
                  Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
                  1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
                  1977 Yamaha 650

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                    Say what, fredintoon might have the luggage rack I need for SWMBO's ride? Got pictures, fred?
                    Hi Ken,
                    yer 'tis:-

The chrome is worse than it looks in the photo.
                    I'd be happy to see $20 for it but it takes a giant parcel to house it and even inside Canada the postage will quite likely be a deal breaker.
                    Also, it's kinda promised to someone when I take it to the Red Deer swapmeet this Halloween provided he picks it up by 1pm.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Large items

Gentlemen, I would like to remind others that Greyhound does a great job with those large items. Example: Fairing accross country, $28, three days! Granted they don't go to Canada, but otherwise cheap and quick. You just have to go to the Greyhound station and pick it up.
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Just checked the maps.....
                        Have them ship it to Niagara Falls and drive accross the border to pick it up
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                        X