Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
    Lon, I think you'll be fine if the tank looked pretty good inside. When I bought my Standard back in '89, the tank was pretty rusty inside. I cleaned it out half assed and just rode it, cleaning the carbs out several times until the rust went away. There is no rust in it now and it's still holding strong, knock again. Good idea, ride now, fix later if needed.
    Thanks Phil, we will need to hook up and ride here in SWFL I am, fix it if broke and ride till broke
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I HATE the idea of lining a tank. It's at best a bandaid, and at worst a compounding problem. If the lining is not done perfectly, it won't stick, and IMHO, if you can get things clean enough for the liner to stick properly, then you don't need a liner. If it's got holes, either get them soldered up, or replace the tank, cause I wouln't trust a container of gas between MY legs that just got a thin coat of epoxy or plastic (in essence) keeping it from leaking. I want a nice steel tank holding that stuff, with maybe soldered or brazed holes fixed. I gave up on my original tank for my bike when I found ONE rust hole in it. It's just not worth the chance. I'll take a chance with the engine and such, but not the tank, brakes, suspension or tires.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
        Thanks Phil, we will need to hook up and ride here in SWFL
        I'm in, just let me know when, work's pretty slow right now.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
        X