baby steps going good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baby steps going good

good news...i made some good progress on the bike.after removing the carbs for a thorough cleaning and reassembling i put them back on the bike after turning over a little bit she started up and ran on it's own and idled good...still some minor issues to work out when i throttle it i can see the crack in # 4 carb intake open up i just plugged it temporarily with electrical tape until i plasti dip them.it has a little popping going on which i think is due to one of the exhaust pipes being a little loose and i have main idle jet missing on number 1 carb which was broken off and removed so i just have to go and get a replacement now. i opened up my gas tank and surprisingly in very good shape inside no major rust just alot of dry dust inside. i have my petcocks taken apart and just letting them soak in cleaner minus the rubber gaskets and plastic tube.

i have a question though regarding replacement mufflers. i have the stock exhaust which is rusted out at the cans and i have read you can get slip on's.the stock pipes are welded so have you guys just cut them off where you need and used clamps to attach the slip on mufflers?? and who makes the closest ressembling slip on"s to the originals?

i have settled on a black and white color scheme for it just need to track down some side covers for it as they were missing on the bike.
    1978 xs1100e
    1985 vmax 1200

This is one of the slicker repairs I've seen, and if you still have the whole stock exhaust, very doable if you have access to a wire-feed welder...
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ufflers&page=2
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by paolo1 View Post
      - - - I have the stock exhaust which is rusted out at the cans and I have read you can get slip on's. The stock pipes are welded so have you guys just cut them off where you need and used clamps to attach the slip on mufflers?? and who makes the closest resembling slip ons to the originals? - - -
      Hi Paolo,
      my Special's exhaust was rusted through right where the mufflers were welded to the collectors so after the mufflers were gone and the broken welds were cleaned up I had to weld a length of 1.5" o/d exhaust pipe onto each collector to give the slip-ons something to grab onto.
      I used mufflers off a 1960s Triumph twin that I got at a swapmeet for $30 the pair.

I had to use a ball pein hammer to groove each muffler to fit under the footpeg castings but the Triumph mufflers mounting tabs bolt right onto the stock exhaust's rubber mountings.
      You could look at MikesXS catalog, he has some really nice Commando style slip-ons:-
      http://www.mikesxs.net/products-44.html#products
      catalog #07-0065
      With any of the slip-ons you lose the cross-over pipe but most slip-ons are free-flowing enough that it don't take two of them to let the exhaust gases out.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
      X