Fuel mileage at higher altitudes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel mileage at higher altitudes

Just a question i thought i would throw out there for possible answers and thoughts. Twice now i have taken a ride up to Mt St Helens. I am not sure of the exact altitude, but it isn't too high, about maybe 4000 feet or so. Thing is, on both trips i got great mileage. First time i got 50 MPG, and this past weekend it was 47 MPG. My normal mileage is around 38 to 40 MPG. This bike sees to like less oxygen. I did go rather slow on these two trip, so i think that helped, but then again i was climbing a mountain. Just wondering if altitude being a factor on mileage, is there some setting i should be shooting for on my normal running? It really isn't a big difference, just kind of interesting to me.
    Last edited by XS1100 Newbie; 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Sounds like you aren't riding fast, even though it's uphill, so that will keep fuel consumption down, relatively speaking. Then you gotta come back down, which really helps fuel consumption! As well, I don't know how high the road goes up in terms of elevation, but St. Helens is well over 8,000 feet high, I believe.

I live in the front range of Colorado at 7,200 feet. A main advantage to that is the thinner air=less air resistance, so the bike doesn't work as hard to push through the air, again, relatively speaking compared to lower elevation. Air density at 12,000 feet is about 40% lower than at sea level given standard conditions, so high elevation has an effect on wind resistance.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hope this helps......carbs work as a result of the 'bernoullie' effect(hope I spelled that right) which is named after the fella that first described fluid dynamics mathematically. There was also a fella by the name of 'venturi' who also arrived at the same conclusions experimentally. In a nutshell the air flowing through the "venturi" in a carbuerator is what draws, or 'sucks' the fuel from the bowls. Less air density=less airflow= less fuel. This is also why if you relocate to a higher altitude long term, you must downsize the jets in any carbuerated IC engines you bring with you, or they will always run a bit too rich.
      Electronically fuel injected engines are mostly immune from altitude changes by virtue of a MAP sensor (which measures engine vacuum), or a MAF sensor (which measures the total mass of the air entering the engine) and can adjust fuel delivery accordingly.
      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Did you measure fuel mileage before you came back DOWN the mountain? I would imagine the previously mentioned factors, along with the fact that half the trip was powered by gravity would really help the mileage.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I wonder if the lower air density would cause your slides to come up a bit later causing you to run longer on the low circuit and improving your mileage. My understanding of CV carbs is that they're supposed to compensate for atmospheric variations. JAT
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

That is kind of the idea i had, but i cant see how i can make something to change the air density at sea level. An atmospheric chamber surrounding the air intake?
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight
            1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
            A quick death and an easy one.
            A pretty girl and an honest one.
            A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Working...
            X