Looking @ a '80 SG / Couple Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking @ a '80 SG / Couple Questions

I am looking at a 1980 SG with a VIN # of 3J6010845.

The seat will need to be recovered or replaced. I think I read some where that the '80 was different to previous models. Am I correct or is my memory incorrect?

Also, per the VIN / Color page this is a 1980 Special but the color is incorrect. What gives? Repaint? It look original.

Looking for a nice Special or XJ.

Hey Rumors,

The Special model seats are different from the standard models. And the 79 Special (first year for the special model) is also different from the 80. However, the 80 and 81 Special seats will interchange freely.

As to paint colors, the only two options for paint ont he SG were a red and a black. The black had red flakes that you can only see in sun light or other bright light. So that would decisively be a repaint. But a nice looking repaint it is.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Definitely a nice bike! The pipes are aftermarket, as is the existing seatcover, grips, mirrors, and the turnsignals. New seatcovers can be had for right around $100 from B&H Specialties. They make them exactly like the OEM if you want.

Either way, it's a nice bike, and much better-looking than many we've seen come through here!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks guys.....put a deposit on the bike...should be able to pick it up Thursday. I'd go get it now but have to go out of town for work Tuesday & Wednesday.

I haven't had a bike in nearly 4 years and it has been 17 since I owned an XS.

As for the seat, is that cover on orginial foam or can you tell?

Comment

The handle bars appear to be from a XS11 standard. Does the front fender have the same gap on the top of the tire as it does on the back? It's hard to see from the picture, but if the tire runs close to the tire at the back, the fender is probably from a XS650 Special.

There are several options for a seat cover, such as Saddlemen for $65.
          Last edited by jetmechmarty; 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM. Reason: puncuation
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by PsRumors View Post
            Thanks guys.....put a deposit on the bike...should be able to pick it up Thursday. I'd go get it now but have to go out of town for work Tuesday & Wednesday.

I haven't had a bike in nearly 4 years and it has been 17 since I owned an XS.

As for the seat, is that cover on original foam or can you tell?
            Seat fitment on the bike doesn't look quite right, maybe the seat is sitting on the hold down bolts ? ( not in frame slots )

Foam, tough to tell ...

Here is a pic of my 80 SG resto I did, I used the original seat pan, foam and a new B&H cover.

On the silver 80SG..

Rear signal lights ( although aftermarket ) are mounted in wrong holes. The last hole on the frame on both sides is for fender to frame using a 10 or12 mm bolt and nut (can't remember off the top of my noggin right now), manual says 40 something ft/lb's torque for the original fastening hardware.

Sidecover emblem's look to be 79's ( tough to tell from pic ) but it appear's XS has black insert with gold outline, 80 has solid gold XS.
            1980 SG - "Blue Balls"

Complete Restoration - Finished June 21/2010

- 1179 kit
            - 80/81 carbs 42.5/115 mains with XS pods
            - Mac 4 into 1 exhaust
            - Venture auto CCT
            - progressive fork springs - no air
            - Mike's progressive rear shocks
            - Galfer S.S. Brake Lines
            - XSDirect - Black Coils
            - 8 mm S.S. Core Plug Wires
            - T.C. fuse box
            - TKat fork brace
            - Geezer regulator
            - Battlax BT45 V-Rated tires
            - 5W40 - Rotella T6 Synth Engine Oil
            - rest of bike is "good old Yamaha"

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
              Seat fitment on the bike doesn't look quite right, maybe the seat is sitting on the hold down bolts ? ( not in frame slots )

Foam, tough to tell ...

Here is a pic of my 80 SG resto I did, I used the original seat pan, foam and a new B&H cover.

On the silver 80SG..

Rear signal lights ( although aftermarket ) are mounted in wrong holes. The last hole on the frame on both sides is for fender to frame using a 10 or12 mm bolt and nut (can't remember off the top of my noggin right now), manual says 40 something ft/lb's torque for the original fastening hardware.

Sidecover emblem's look to be 79's ( tough to tell from pic ) but it appear's XS has black insert with gold outline, 80 has solid gold XS.
              The emblems are definately outlined gold with black in the center.

Could this be a '79? Maybe the owner read the serial number incorrectly.

Comment

No. Definately an '80. Main clue is in grab rail. '79,s were a chrome tubular steel job, not the good solid chunky one on the '80. Other clues are the absense of the kick starter shaft, 79,s still had the shaft but the kicker was in the tool box, and the slotted disks.

Love the colour, might have to consider a repaint on mine now.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Bike looks like a 80SG for sure ( 3J6 is a 80SG US model) , but the 79 and 80 Special's had different sidecover's and emblems.

The sidecovers look correct in the pic, but the 79SF are different from the 80SG.

Here is a pic of a 79 Special sidecover ..

they have slotted top mount holes, the 80 has a hole and a slotted hole for mounting .. I am not sure if they are the same size or not ( maybe someone else can verify this ) or if the emblems can be interchanged to the stock emblem mount holes between the two years.

It would be a bit of work to put 79SF sidecovers on a 80SG frame ..
                  1980 SG - "Blue Balls"

- 1179 kit
                  - Mac 4 into 1 exhaust
                  - Venture auto CCT
                  - XSDirect - Black Coils
                  - T.C. fuse box
                  - TKat fork brace
                  - Geezer regulator

Comment

And that is a gorgeous bike Bullet

Comment

And that is a gorgeous bike Bullet
                      thanks !!

been on the road just over 2 months after completed the resto, got almost 5000 clicks on it now, still a ton of fun to ride with no issues

the bike your looking at looks pretty sweet and clean ... good luck ..

If you need anything ( parts ) shoot me a pm , I got a lot of good stuff leftover from my build ..
                      1980 SG - "Blue Balls"

- 1179 kit
                      - Mac 4 into 1 exhaust
                      - Venture auto CCT
                      - XSDirect - Black Coils
                      - T.C. fuse box
                      - TKat fork brace
                      - Geezer regulator

Comment

For a follow up....I did not buy this bike

The asking price was $1500 and we settled on $1350. I drove out and right off, the head gasket was leaking pretty bad, I do believe this was just coincidence and not deceit by the seller. The right side cover was cracked, it needed tires and brakes. Also the wiring had some issues, there had been some taps, the fuse block had been bypassed on a few circuits and once when the bike was started the headlight didn't come on.

I quickly saw $400 or $500 for parts plus needing to pull the bike completely appart for a good cleaning.

On a side note, I could not find a single reason to believe this was a repaint. Everything looked right.

Comment

Sounds more like a $500 bike to me. But I am a cheap azz...ask anyone!!

Also, the silver paint looks like an excellent job, but the special model never was available in silver. So unless it was a special order bike, it was not that color from the factory.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

In all fairness

For a follow up....I did not buy this bike

The asking price was $1500 and we settled on $1350. I drove out and right off, the head gasket was leaking pretty bad, I do believe this was just coincidence and not deceit by the seller. The right side cover was cracked, it needed tires and brakes. Also the wiring had some issues, there had been some taps, the fuse block had been bypassed on a few circuits and once when the bike was started the headlight didn't come on.

I quickly saw $400 or $500 for parts plus needing to pull the bike completely appart for a good cleaning.

On a side note, I could not find a single reason to believe this was a repaint. Everything looked right.
                            In all fairness to what PsRumors has stated about the bike in question (my bike) I'd like to clear some things up that actually matter to me.

First off I'd only put about 250 miles on the bike before deciding to offer it for sale simply because I wanted to finish some other pressing projects. I also told him EVERYTHING that I knew about the bike before he made the trip to see it.

Secondly, the bike did NOT have a leaking head gasket, there is a BIG difference between a easy fix valve cover gasket and a head gasket !
                            The valve cover gasket had simply been weeping a little oil. I unknowingly wiped away a piece of clear silicone sealer that had been cleverly smeared onto the valve cover like a band-aid and it suddenly became a heavy leak with the motor running once wiped away after I'd wash and dried the bike. Again, I'd ridden this bike without any major oil leaks and I'd mentioned the weeping to ALL prospected buyers, I just didn't know that it had been patched by the PO.
                            Oh by the way, I asked him if he was still interested in the bike and if so I would try to seal the cover with yamabond so he could test drive it and he said YES. I tried to accommodate him but we found there was to much gasket material missing for a successful repair, in other words ... it still leaked bad.

Third, as for the wiring issues, we'd discussed that also before he made the trip but I'd not had a lot of time to check everything on the bike because I'd only had it 2 weeks and put less than 300 miles on it after doing the carbs.

What I did know was that the turn signals were not stock and didn't blink at idle speed. Two extra wires had been ran from the fuse box to the front of the bike (suspect it had a fairing on it once upon a time) and that I had removed the wires in which straightened out the brake light issue I'd posted about when I joined the forum.

He found the harness had been tapped into for whatever reason and mentioned that to me. The headlight decided not to function after we'd removed the right side cover to install the new air filter he brought with him. I must have bumped the fuse that controls the headlight because it didn't come ON after the motor cranked so I checked the fuse, pushed it back into place and it was working again and has worked every time since.

Of course I don't blame anybody for walking at this point but I was NOT trying to pull a fast one on him or anybody else. Matter of fact, I offered to drop the price another $150 and guarantee the bike to run out good after he fixed the valve cover leak since he'd not test drove it but he declined ... I would've probably done the same.

Now as for the Diamond Silver color of this bike, I don't know, other than the aftermarket blinkers and Kerker header the bike appears to be all Yamaha and NOT a bunch of mismatched parts. I called a dealer who used to be the biggest Kawasaki & Yamaha dealer in the state of Alabama in the 1980's who informed me the bike was most probably a special order but he would have to see it to confirm. It really doesn't matter at this point because if I end up keeping it the paint will become black cherry pearl.

In it's present state this bike is a rider and obviously not a show piece, but, for sure I have seen much worse. I seriously doubt a show piece will run and shift any better than this one will.
                            They either look exceptionally well and the owner wants 3 prices for it.... or it looks good and runs bad ... or it's a good 30 year old rider that needs some TLC like this one and runs out right ! I've since found out that the bike had to much oil in it by at least 1 full quart, no wonder the air box had oil splatter in it.

Anyway ... sorry for the long post, no offense was meant and I sincerely hope none was taken, I just wanted to clear the air a little bit. The valve cover is now fixed, no leaks whatsoever and yes the bike is for sale again.
                            1980 XS Eleven SG all stock except Kerker 4/1 header & K&N.

1974 Kawasaki Z1 900 bored to 1328cc motor w/ported J head & titanium valves.42mm Mikuni carbs.

2002 SS Monte Carlo
                            2004 Silverado

Comment

Working...
                            X