Torque Cones.... Baffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Cones.... Baffles

I have a Mac 4 into 1 exhaust and I like being loud so I have no baffle/muffler. I would like to gain some low end power back without loosing too much noise. What is the best solution and where do I buy it. Has anyone used torque cones on these bikes?
    1979 XS1100S
    4 into 1 Mac Header (No baffle)
    4 single air pods
    Carb settings:
    45 pilot jet
    137.5 main jet
    Needle clip 3rd position
    25mm float height
    100mm stretched diaphram springs

You have the stock double walled headers if I remember correctly don't you? If so they will most likely do you no good because the headers already function the same as the cones would, only better.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The main problem is there isn't anything out there "off the shelf" with proven power gain. They just didn't take the time or put the effort into testing after market exhausts to prove they made any more power than the stock setup. Your best bet might be buying some tunable supertrapp bolt-ons and tune to your liking. Without a dyno its anyones guess where your gaining or losing power...
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I don't think my pipes are double walled, in fact I know their not because I have had to straighten a lip up to fix an exhaust leak. I found this, I wounder if it would fit my Mac....
        Kerker 2.5 in. Competition (Large) Baffle for Megaphone Series Exhaust 1006357 1006357

Kind of expensive but may bring my low to mid range up to par.
        1979 XS1100S
        4 single air pods
        Carb settings:
        45 pilot jet
        137.5 main jet
        Needle clip 3rd position
        25mm float height

Comment

The first couple inches are single walled. Have to look inside a little ways to see it.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If they are macs they are single walled. As for getting it all back, unless you go through a LOT of re-jetting along with building in at least SOME back pressure, your not going to get it all back without putting a good stock exhaust back on it. The stock system and everything else about the system was all well designed, and without some pretty expensive tuning gear your not gonna have an easy time trying to duplicate what some pretty smart engineers did 30 years ago.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              You have the stock double walled headers if I remember correctly don't you? If so they will most likely do you no good because the headers already function the same as the cones would, only better.
              Actually, no. 'Torque cones' work not so much by reducing the pipe diameter as by a 'venturi' effect; forcing the gas to go faster, then allowing it to expand into the larger free-flowing pipe with increased velocity. Plus having a 'lip' near the exhaust port to help block reversion waves. On the 'better' ones the venturi is obvious, not so much on the cheapies.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Anecdotal Anomaly

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                and without some pretty expensive tuning gear your not gonna have an easy time trying to duplicate what some pretty smart engineers did 30 years ago.
                I dunno...I recall my first XS Std. (Pre- channel 11 for me...) It had a 4-into-1 exhaust that blocked the whole underside of the engine. Couldn't even change the oil without pulling the whole exhaust off.

The PO had bolted on a single muffler with a genuine "Yamaha" name and logo on it. (No...I don't know what size/model bike it originally came off of...) Thing is that even though the carbs were totally stock the bike ran GREAT. (After I cleaned everything out of course.) No stumbling or bogging down. No lack of "whoop" or torque at low rpms. Muffler looked kinda small/undersized but it somehow did what needed to be done. The bike was just as scary as the one I have now. I sold it cause I absolutely HATED the way it handled. But engine wise I wasn't just satisfied....I was impressed.

Just saying that at least in my experience some clueless PO with a tendency to destroy everything he owned somehow found a Yamaha muffler that allowed a 4-into-1 exhaust to work right.

Gawd! I don't know what it came off of. Might have even been from a Quad for all I know. Sorta does support the "back pressure needed" direction you're headed in right now.

Comment

supertraps

Hi,

I think Marshy has it , if I were you and you want to tune , the supertrap with its multiplate design may very well be the best way to go. That would offer you unlimited options almost to tune for sound or power or both.

I will say, that on my only foray into the exhaust area with my CBX, I had a set of vance hines pipes, and somewhere I came up with a missing baffle on the one side. I ended up going to a muffler shop and they ended up cutting an auto muffler in half, it was one of those round kinds of straight thru mufflers, they cut lengthwise into it also, enabling it to be able to be fitted into the megaphone of the V H collector, then they tacked it in place. That setup lasted until the cbx was stolen a couple of years later. The bike ended up a bit noisier than the stock VH baffle that was long gone, and I think the ole cbx lost a tiny bit of power also, but there was still more than I used regularly. It just goes to show that there are lots of things to consider. By the way, if I can locate that left over silencer from the VH pipe, you are welcome to it, but dont hold your breath waiting for me to locate it amongst thirty some years of paraphanalia.
                  Bikes Now.
                  80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                  79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                  83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                  83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                  08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Hey Drum,

I've been doing a little searching, only place I found that had the simple UNIVERSAL type simple slotted/louvered baffles was JC Whitney. These look similar to what is in the end of my RC Engineering 4-1 megaphone pipe. I drilled 4 holes in the end plate to give it a little more throat, but still have the baffle. The bolt that holds it in rusted/broke one day, and fell out , and it was a horendously loud noise as I watched the baffle bounce down the highway behind me! I stopped and picked it up, went home and put it back in, and I knew that without it, the bike would not run properly so I gingered it back home, only a couple of miles away, so I can't comment on how it would have performed with it out!? Anyways, here's what I found, and the prices are right!?

BIKERS CHOICE EXHAUST PIPE BAFFLES
                    Product Number: 36020G
                    Product Details: BIKERS CHOICE EXHAUST PIPE BAFFLES
                    Select Options Exhaust Pipe Baffle $3.99
                    Each Exhaust Pipe Baffle $3.99
                    Each Exhaust Pipe Baffle $6.99

BIKER'S CHOICE EXHAUST PIPE BAFFLES
                    Steel ConstructionTwo Styles: Can opener 4" Long Style and Pipe StyleSold Individually
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
                      careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
                        careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Wow, TopCat, That looks like the ticket right there!! Maybe the wife will let me have ten bucks but theres no way in hell she'll give me $125 for that Kerker baffle.
                          1979 XS1100S
                          4 single air pods
                          Carb settings:
                          45 pilot jet
                          137.5 main jet
                          Needle clip 3rd position
                          25mm float height

Comment

Originally posted by Drumagician View Post
                            Wow, TopCat, That looks like the ticket right there!! Maybe the wife will let me have ten bucks but theres no way in hell she'll give me $125 for that Kerker baffle.
                            IMO that Baffle isnt worth a buck and a quarter anyways, for another 50 you can get a nice complete supertrapp baffle on Ebay...
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I put a Supertrapp fully tunable can on my Mac 4-1 header, connected with flex pipe. Loads of low end torque and still pretty loud. It was about $125.

2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X