carb assistance required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb assistance required

ok so i took your guys advise and got it started with exhaust and hooked up the vacum liones i was told were required.it runs no oil leaks so far equal heat across header pipes.....so i removed the carbs off and started tearing into them to give a thorough cleaning. here is what i found so far.

1 main jet broken off in there so i need to remove it after letting sit in some cleaner to loosen everthing up.....found alot of crud in there and in jet orfices.....rubber boots between carbs and intake manifiold all need replacing as they are very badly cracked right through.....where can i find new ones anybody know or have some they would like to part with?

where is a good supplier for thes carb parts if needed?
    1978 xs1100e
    1985 vmax 1200

We all have cracked carb booties.

Those carb manifolds (rubber boots) are double-walled, sort of. Unless you're really certain that the cracks go all the way through, though what you see is sort of ugly, those cracks are just cosmetic and don't affect anything.
    As for where to get carb parts.... it might be better if I let a Canadian member answer that for you.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Prom is right about the boots, you could always plastic them. As for the jets, it might not be the cheapest bit local dealers are usually reasonable and you can see what your getting
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey Paolo,

This site is north of the border for you:
        http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog...id=XS1100-1978

They have a fair amount of parts, but no intake boots. You can find them either on www.partsnmore.com as well as ebay for about $100.00 a set of 4, so like Prom said, be sure they are really cracked thru to the inside layer, but if the inside layer is intact, thinking that they are otherwise it would not have started and run/idled very well, then you can do one of many different techniques to dress up the outside layer.

BTW, hope you're NOT soaking the entire carb bodies in carb cleaner, or you will probably need to order the throttle shaft seals, they get damaged in caustic carb cleaner!!!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I had just mentioned Z1 Enterprises in another post. I was worried about the shipping issue that Canadians gripe about some times.

Just checked the Z1 site, says they're in NY. Didn't know if they shipped to Canada, but I see on their site they have a currency converter, so I guess they do.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

so far i just have the jets soaking in carb cleaner and the float bowl area.what is a good solution to clean the outside with a brush soapy water,brake clean,or degreaser etc.no i'm pretty sure the intake boots are torn right through and that it is contributing to the bike not idling on it's own...
            1978 xs1100e
            1985 vmax 1200

Comment

As Prom and TC have said, it's unlikely that they are torn right through. It can happen though, and the way to tell is to spray something flammable on the outside of the carb boots while the bike is running and if the idle changes then you have a possible problem (you have a leak, and it may be the boots in that case). However, if the carbs are gummed up you CANNOT make any decisions on the rest of the system until that is fixed. The other way to check the boots, at least to see if the cracks go all the way through, would be with the boots off the bike, shine a bright light from the inside of the boot and see if you can see light through the cracks. But, even if they went through, I would clean them up and put a good coat of plastidip or RTV silicone on the outside to seal until I had everything else working well and start watching for a deal on replacement boots.

BTW, I hear that the aftermarket boots don't last very long (I have heard as little as a couple of years) and the OEM are IIRC NLA. So fixing them may well last a LOT longer than new ones.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578 View Post
                I had just mentioned Z1 Enterprises in another post. I was worried about the shipping issue that Canadians gripe about some times.

Just checked the Z1 site, says they're in NY. Didn't know if they shipped to Canada, but I see on their site they have a currency converter, so I guess they do.
                I have ordered from Z1 before they ship using US mail ,very reasonable and you need to sign for the package. They ship fast too I received my order the same week.
                BDF Special
                80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

is there any harm in soaking your carb bodies in hot soapy water after removing all the jets and hardware...just to clean up the grime off the outside
                  1978 xs1100e
                  1985 vmax 1200

Comment

With that mild cleaning, rubber parts will be fine. Could even dump a bit of PurpleSuperClean in the hot water. That'll help loosen some of that grime.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

yamalube again

Hi,
                      Of course the recommended carb cleaner is yamalubes, its twelve bux a quart, and my dealer says to not dilute it as specified on the can, just use it straight and soak two carbs at a time in a coffee can is what I used. Others, use brand name pinesol, but there is at least one person has stated that pinesol can take off some plating that may or not be on your carb parts. I dont really know about the pinesol, in any case if its pinesol, some claim that you have to use the brand name stuff, and no one has claimed to have used the non branded type. In any case the pine sol can be used straight, but with warnings of no more than 24 hours of soak time. To clean the pine sol or for that matter the yami lube stuff off, hot water is used.
                      Bikes Now.
                      80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                      79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                      83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                      83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                      08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

http://www.xs650direct.com/ is the same in Canada as Mikesxs in the states. A lot of the jets etc are the same in the 650's as the 11's. They don't seem to mind who they sell too but I don't go around advertising that I am working on an 11 either. They are really fast and I have had no issues with them on about 4 orders so far. Check them out.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

alright so i removed the carb intake boots for closer inspection and as mentioned they are double walled and look horrible from the outside but #4 intake has a crack right through it and the others seem to have not penetrated yet so is there something i can use to temporarily seal the crack until i can dish out the $ 100 for new ones.....any kind of sealant that can be used?
                          1978 xs1100e
                          1985 vmax 1200

Comment

Canadian tire up here carries Plasti-dip. It comes in a dip as well as a spray version. It is the stuff you find on plier handles and wrench handles so your hand does not slip. Works really well on these carb boots. I personally dipped mine but others prefer the spray. I got another 10 years out of mine using the product. I found Georgefix on ebay had the best prices for the new carb boots which were in the 90 dollar range. He is excellent to deal with, is fast and cheap shipping.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by paolo1 View Post
                              is there any harm in soaking your carb bodies in hot soapy water after removing all the jets and hardware...just to clean up the grime off the outside
                              Best thing I have found for cleaning the carb bodies is to boil them for 15 to 30 min in lemon juice followed by a water wash then blow dry. You don't need to separate the bodies from the rack and the lemon juice will not hurt the butter fly valve seals. I picked up a disposable roasting pan and did it on a camp stove outside as it will stink. Cleans them inside and out making them look like new. I found this process on the Yamaha Triples site - they swear by it. Lemon juice is cheap and you can re-use it. Took 4 qts as I remember with the pan I had to cover the bodies.

Deny
                              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Working...
                              X