SF vs SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF vs SG

Is there any difference in the drive train between these two year models or was the only big differences the gauge package and kickstart spline?
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." --HERBERT SPENCER

Active: 1932 Ford Model A; XS1100SF (Just got 'er); XS1100SG; 2000 F250 Turbo Diesel; 2003 Ford Mustang
    Broken: 1999 Kawi Vulcan 750; 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Gonners: XS1100SF (my first ride); '82 Honda CB900F (bored to 1123cc); '86 Kawasaki ZG1000

The head, pistons and cams are different and so are the carbs. Kickstart was also eliminated in 1980 (SG).
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

To add to what Phil said, the compression ratios are different too. 9.3:1 for the SF, and 9:1 for the SG. The timing is slightly different too - 5 degrees BTDC for the SF (UK) and 10 degrees BTDC for the SF (US) and SG. And the SF uses a slightly different mechanical advance than any other year - 5 degrees less advance IIRC.
      Last edited by dbeardslee; 08-30-2010, 10:59 AM.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hi Mac,
        What they said + SG has slotted rotors + annoying little differences that don't let the seats swap.
        However, the entire drive train swaps no problem.
        Last edited by fredintoon; 08-30-2010, 11:21 AM.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
        X