No announcement yet.

wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a similar thing, but went straight to the battery for mine. I just added a round terminal on the end of each of 2 wires (one for each battery terminal screw) and ran the wires to a 2-prong molex connector that hangs under the right side cover. I then created an adapter wire for my battery charger so I can just plug it all in without even removing the seat.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      Could you elaborate on this please? By 'battery tender' do you mean some sort of battery charger? Do you mean that you have wires attached to the two terminals in the auxiliary power thing permanently and then attach a battery charger to them? It sounds like a great way of avoiding taking the battery out to charge it (panel off, seat off, battery stay unscrewed etc etc) , so I'm hoping that's what you mean. If so, what kind of charger are you using???
      Battery Tender is a charger that runs a normal charge till the battery reaches say 14.5 volts, then drops back to a 12.5 volt or so maint setting until the battery voltage drops below a certain point and then kicks back into charge mode again. It will kick in and out keeping the battery up just below the full charge line like normal usage would while it's being stored. Putting the leads on like that allows you to do this without having to remove the battery from the bike, so then to put the bike back in service, assuming you drained the carbs, you just prime the carbs, unplug the tender from the battery, and start it up.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
        Battery Tender is a charger that runs a normal charge till the battery reaches say 14.5 volts, then drops back to a 12.5 volt or so maint setting until the battery voltage drops below a certain point and then kicks back into charge mode again. It will kick in and out keeping the battery up just below the full charge line like normal usage would while it's being stored. Putting the leads on like that allows you to do this without having to remove the battery from the bike, so then to put the bike back in service, assuming you drained the carbs, you just prime the carbs, unplug the tender from the battery, and start it up.
        Can you do that with all types of batteries? I was under the impression that the cells had to be open to breath while charging, unless it's a sealed battery of course.
        Also noticed that the auxiliary terminal is fused @ 7.5 amps. Is that enought to run extra lights and or power terminal for cell phones /gps device etc.....?
        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
          Can you do that with all types of batteries? I was under the impression that the cells had to be open to breath while charging, unless it's a sealed battery of course.
          Also noticed that the auxiliary terminal is fused @ 7.5 amps. Is that enought to run extra lights and or power terminal for cell phones /gps device etc.....?
          The batteries have a breather system as they are constantly being charged and discharged under use anyways. Even sealed systems aren't really sealed, they have breather systems as well. As for the aux, you don't have very much reserve capacity on these bikes anyways, and 7.5 amps is probably more than there is left after all the normal stuff, as a matter of fact, given normal specs for circuits and assuming they went with the 1.5 to 1 formula rather than the 2 to 1 formula for fusing on that circuit, you shouldn't put devices requiring more than about 5 amps. That said, most of those devices draw a small fraction of that amount, with the exception of the lights, and those should NOT go through the aux circuit anyways, they need their own circuit anyways.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

auxillary circuit

The AUX circuit where I hooked up the tender is a 10 AMP circuit - easily handles the 1-2 amp load the tender may run thru it to keep the battery up. I only hook it up when I am going to be travelling and away from the bike for awhile and want to "top it up" when I want to ride again.

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

charger leads

My tender/ maintainer / minder charger came with leads with eye connectors so you could permanently attach them to the battery posts and just plug the charger in without much fuss .
              I was told NEVER to charge the battery with any more than 1.5 amps . More than that will harm the battery and at least boil it dry over time . I left a 2 amp minder on all one winter ( 6 months) and the electrolyte was down quite a bit . Since then I have been using the 1.5 amp minder on all winter long in the bike with no problems or fluid loss . The battery is now 5 years old and shows no sign of weakening
              XJ1100K
              Avon rubber
              MikesXS black coils
              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
              MikesXS front master
              Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
              Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
              Progressive fork springs
              CIBIE headlight reflector
              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...