Why is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it?

3-phase gave me a new set of later model carbs for my E model and the jets are only 110's all the way across, the bike runs a little richer than the old carbs with the 137.5's. The performance is better because the old carbs with the 137.5's were too lean. WTF
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

The early model carbs drew all their gas from the main tunnel, so the mains fed the pilots and needed to be larger to accommodate the pilots. On the later model carbs the pilots draw directly from the bowl via the open pilot tunnel, so they didn't need the bigger mains.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Then

"So I see", said the blind man.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system

Comment

Planedick, I'm killing some time up here in Vancouver so here you go! You need some '78/'79 slide needles and, possibly, larger main jets. Try it first with just the needles; clips in the stock #3 position and go from there. With the 110 main jets it should be pretty well set for cruising around town and short bursts of speed.

Besides the separate idle and main fuel circuits, I think a lot of the late-model carbs use slightly smaller main jets than optimum (110 vs 115/120 or larger) along with the smaller slide needles.

With the short, sharp, needles the smaller main jets start supplying fuel a little sooner. The engine runs well, then leans out as the RPMs pick up, the needles max out and the smaller main won't supply any more fuel. The engine can rev to redline in the garage but under load it might be a little anemic at higher speeds.

Ultimately, it depends on how fast you want to go for how long carrying how much weight and how much fuel you're willing to burn. Within reason:

Smaller main jets use less fuel, run the engine hotter and provide less power;
        Larger main jets use more fuel, run the engine cooler and provide more power.

Short, sharp slide needles fuel midrange and top end sooner then max out;
        Long, blunt slide needles fuel midrange and top end more slowly and take more time to max out.

The float levels can help dial it all in when you're finished jetting -- happy tuning!
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Actually...

I'm very happy with the way it runs. It will now do 130 in 5th even with the 750 final. Faster requires shifting to 4th and it will climb some more. Good cold idle at 500, warmed up idle 1100, smooth axcel at any rpm. Very happy.

Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
            I'm very happy with the way it runs.
            That's great, me too!

I can't say how fast my bike runs; still out on the road and too many miles left to go before I get home.
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
            X