Buying a used motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a used motor

Ok so I came across a used motor on craigslist.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1914712214.html

I was thinking about going to look at it. It supposedly has a Wiseco kit on it. My question is, should there be certain things to look for. If the engine has been uped is there a way to see if it was done properly.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 Std
    4 into 1 exhast, pod filters
    2003 Triumph Thruxton

Something tells me there is some forum history with that motor... I wonder if the seller is Cowboybob? It might actually be one of the motors from the Bob Jones estate too. Honestly, if you need a motor, I'd go for it. The kits are worth way more than the asking price on that motor, but it looks like it's been taken care of.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I don't "need" a motor just thought it would be nice to have for a future upgrade. I knew for the wiseco kit it is worth it. Just didn't know if there was anything to look for with this upgrade.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100 Std
      4 into 1 exhast, pod filters
      2003 Triumph Thruxton

Comment

I would probably buy it too! I just wish craiglist would be that useful for me, cant get nothing good on there here
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
        X