And so it ends...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it ends...

Last winter I rebuilt my transmission because first gear was blown. I replaced 1st, 3rd, and 4th with brand new NOS Yamaha gears. 2nd and 5th looked OK, so I just did the washer swap on those.
    I put everything back together(set up for long distance touring) and put about 2000 miles on it with no problems. Then, as I was shifting from 1st to 2nd, the transmission locked up and I skidded to a stop. I had a local sheriff help me lift the bike(back end then front) to the side of the road to allow traffic to resume. Then, after about a hour of trying to get the tranny to unlock, tapping on the transmission and manipulating the gear shifter and playing with the clutch, I finally got the wheel to move. Bad sounds. I was able to get to the nearest parking lot, but something was rattling in the tranny. The next day I trailered it home.
    Anyway, I have been riding this bike the last ten years and got my first XS1100 in 1996. My current XS1100 is a modified 1979 standard set up for long distance touring. I am going to part it out on Ebay in the next couple of weeks, but I thought I should give one of the members first crack at the complete bike. It still starts and runs, but I am done...
    Here are some of the highpoints of this bike:

1179 Big Bore kit done in 2006, about 10,000 miles since done.
    Head redone at the same time, with new valves, Kibblewhite springs, new valve seals, etc.
    Brand new set of Mikuni RS Flatside carbs installed in 2006, cost:$1200. This also included a dual throttle cable set-up from a KZ1000. Also installed a restrictive vacuum jet going to the advance.
    Custom aluminum saddlebags with tig welded frames and stainless hardware.
    Custom aux. aluminum fuel cell(4 gallons) that gravity feeds to the carbs.
    Venturer tank that holds over 6 gallons with manual on/off/reserve petcocks. This allows the use of the 4 gallon reserve, then you can turn on the main tank.
    Windjammer fairing with lowers.
    Venturer oil cooler with TopCats S.O.F.C.A.
    XS750 final drive mod.
    Spare 80 special engine with 13,000 miles.
    Plus a ton of parts collected over the years...

If anyone is interested, PM me.

I am located in Basalt, CO. $1000 for everything...bring a trailer. Clean title on the 79 complete bike. No title fot the spare engine. Lots of extras...

Comment

Very sorry to hear it. If it is just the tranny especially the counterhaft gears that got messed up, I have the complete tranny out of Thunderstruck to go in it.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I actually have a spare dremel fixed tranny sittin' on the shelf, plus the one in the spare engine. I purchased another bike, I will not reveal what it is so as not to offend. Just moving on...Also my bike has a pristine factory exhaust for the standard and I have a 4 into 1 Kerker. $1000 for it all!!

Comment

Hey brother

Originally posted by papanovember View Post
          Last winter I rebuilt my transmission because first gear was blown. I replaced 1st, 3rd, and 4th with brand new NOS Yamaha gears. 2nd and 5th looked OK, so I just did the washer swap on those.
          I put everything back together(set up for long distance touring) and put about 2000 miles on it with no problems. Then, as I was shifting from 1st to 2nd, the transmission locked up and I skidded to a stop. I had a local sheriff help me lift the bike(back end then front) to the side of the road to allow traffic to resume. Then, after about a hour of trying to get the tranny to unlock, tapping on the transmission and manipulating the gear shifter and playing with the clutch, I finally got the wheel to move. Bad sounds. I was able to get to the nearest parking lot, but something was rattling in the tranny. The next day I trailered it home.
          Anyway, I have been riding this bike the last ten years and got my first XS1100 in 1996. My current XS1100 is a modified 1979 standard set up for long distance touring. I am going to part it out on Ebay in the next couple of weeks, but I thought I should give one of the members first crack at the complete bike. It still starts and runs, but I am done...
          Here are some of the highpoints of this bike:

1179 Big Bore kit done in 2006, about 10,000 miles since done.
          Head redone at the same time, with new valves, Kibblewhite springs, new valve seals, etc.
          Brand new set of Mikuni RS Flatside carbs installed in 2006, cost:$1200. This also included a dual throttle cable set-up from a KZ1000. Also installed a restrictive vacuum jet going to the advance.
          Custom aluminum saddlebags with tig welded frames and stainless hardware.
          Custom aux. aluminum fuel cell(4 gallons) that gravity feeds to the carbs.
          Venturer tank that holds over 6 gallons with manual on/off/reserve petcocks. This allows the use of the 4 gallon reserve, then you can turn on the main tank.
          Windjammer fairing with lowers.
          Venturer oil cooler with TopCats S.O.F.C.A.
          XS750 final drive mod.
          Spare 80 special engine with 13,000 miles.
          Plus a ton of parts collected over the years...

If anyone is interested, PM me.
          1st, let me say this is heart felt, glad you are OK an didn't get hurt! You must have had a true love for these bikes to have done all the work and time you put into them. I have been smitten and frustrated by the same I wish you well in what ever bike you choise, God Speed, and I mean that Brother
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I hope you find much joy in your new ride! And on a selfish note, I hope you will be still haunting the forum, as there are so many things you did to your bike I would really like to do to mine!
            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I wish I was near CO cause I would take that.but distance males it cost prohibitive. Good luck man!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If only I was closer!!!!!
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                X