Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Greatest Wish Seems to be to Become a Static Display...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you need is a screwdriver and some sort of carb stick or vacuum gauges.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

all that basically is, is a long screwdriver. You need something that will measure the vacuum in the intake ports. Something like this http://www.carbtune.com/ is very nice and seems to be what a lot of people have as well as myself, very easy to use and accurate. Or there is something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carb-...tomotive_Tools still very accurate but you must calibrate each gauge before you use it so that each gauge reads the same on a single carb. Then there is this home made one http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986. There are also mercury sticks and other types of liquid manometers. a longer screwdriver is also nice to have though for reaching in to turn the sync screws.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ok, thanks, ill see what I can find, or fabricate. Eh...that whole octopus hose thingy you all mentioned? When I pulled the tank off, it looked like someone just capped averything off but the fuel lines. Granted, I didn't dig deep because I had to get to work, but shouldn't there have been, oh I dunno, vacuum lines or something down there?
        Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
        Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
          Ok, thanks, ill see what I can find, or fabricate. Eh...that whole octopus hose thingy you all mentioned? When I pulled the tank off, it looked like someone just capped averything off but the fuel lines. Granted, I didn't dig deep because I had to get to work, but shouldn't there have been, oh I dunno, vacuum lines or something down there?
          It is possible that a previous owner didnt want to deal with the ocy and just bypassed it (many do, its not a necessary piece of equipment). There is usually on vacuum line that runs to the #2 carb intake boot but it really can run to any of the intake boots. I dont know exactly how its hooked up cause I have never had to deal with one so I wont try. I can tell you how to bypass it though. It can be bypassed by just not hooking anything to it and then running the a fuel line from the rear petcock nipple to the carb inlets and then blocking off the front nipple, or you can connect both petcock nipples with a T and hooking it to the carbs either works.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Lots of ways to kill that bird as to synching. Personally, I have always been to much of a cheapazz to buy those tools. I forked out for a mityvac when I worked on the rear brakes, and it has a vacuum gage. So I use it to hook to the PVC plenum took shown in that tech tip. And just move the inlet hose form carb to carb reading and adjusting. Pretty darn accurate, not as accurate as reading all four at once, but close enough for my needs.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

My carb kits finally came in today, so tonight at work if I have time ill start on the rebuild. Does anyone know if Harbor Freight has the gauge I will need to do the synching? (I've got nothing like that at home atm)
              Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Ok, so I took the carbs to work, and #1 and #2 were completely blocked, every port, in everything. It was ugly...

Carb #3 and #4 looked decent, gave them a once over anyhow. When I turn the petcocks to reserve, I still get a geyser of fuel from #2, so I suppose I'll try to tear it apart and see what the deal with the float is on it.

It takes forever to get it started still, but once its running it works much better.

Current issues:

-Lots of backfiring
                -Doesn't want to start
                -Fuel leak
                -loud chattering (valves?)
                Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I amend my last post. The bike wont start at all now. I'm stumped.
                  Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Hey there Joab,

Got your PM, will shout at you on the way back from Texas!

Okay, you've done the 1st cleaning, just 2 more to go! A triple cleaning is a common phrase mostly because most folks don't know all of the little places to find/check/clean the first time around.

Hard starting: Did you check the little jet down in the float bowl and ensure that it was CLEAR and flowed air/fuel? Probably not, possibly not knowing that there WAS a jet down in the float bowl that needed cleaning....it's where that long brass tube on the carb body sticks down into to draw up fuel thru...but if clogged, can't get the choke/Enrichener to work, not really getting the extra fuel to help it start!

Also, did you drain the gas tank and put in new fresh fuel? Also, you'll want/need to put on INLINE fuel filters, otherwise, the fine rust and crud in the tank is just clogging your newly cleaned carbs again!

Since it was working before you worked on the carbs, then most likely it's still the carbs, fuel delivery problem. BUT electrical problems can also crop up.
                    Is it a new battery, or the one that was sold with it when you got it? If you've only been able to run it at idle, then you've been DISCHARGING the battery, it doesn't reach charging level until over 2500 rpm, and so starting and just running drains the battery! Once it drops below 10.5 volts, the TCI/ignition unit won't work, no sparky, no starty!

I've put my last fuseblock aside for you, from your description in your PM, you probably need to do a lot of electrical connector cleaning...the grounds for the battery, as well as the ground strap behind the engine to frame, the 3 large white connectors that are behind the fuse panel, as well as all of the other connectors in the harness!!!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sounds good TC!

So, I think it might just be the battery. I threw it on the charger, and I got it to fire up and run. The "choke" is all goofed up, it will only start, and stay running, if I dont touch the choke. Stupid gremlins.

What I assume is loud valve chatter worries me a bit though, should I be able to hear it over the exhaust?
                      Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Adjust the valves, or have them adjusted. Do you have a manual? You may need to make sure the cams didn't jump time. Check ignition timing as well.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

If you have not already done so, adjust the valve gaps as Marty suggested. Also adjust the cam chain tensioner. Both can cause excessive valve noise.

However, these bikes do just tend to have a noisy valve train. You can hear it over the engine at idle especially, no matter how well you adjust the entire system.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                          X