gas cap vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas cap vent

is there a thread for instruction to clean the gas cap vent ? i realize its probably simple for most but i have limited use of my hands when i comes to things like turning a bolt or trying to put a screwdriver in the screw head ,,anyway i think the vent or a kinked hose might be my problem ,,any ideas ,, ride safe ,,slow mo! all replies welcome!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

I just did my vent clean up two nights ago. The hardest part is getting the rubber "boot" (seals against the tank opening) that has two openings on it to go back over the lips of the respective round metal parts. You can easily get one end of the boot back around one or the other, but it's a bit tough to get it to go back around both.

I put the boot around the part that stays attached to the fuel cap first, then used a screwdriver (gently, don't want to mess up that 30+ year old rubber piece) to walk the rubber around the other half of the assembly (contains the fiber disk, etc) that seats in the rubber piece. It'll make sense when you take a look at it.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

There was a post on here about the tear down, and re assembly of the cap. They used a Thermostat gasket for a new seal, and it worked fine. I am going to do mine as well.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Hey Mo,

I did a thread on the complete tear down HERE

Reality is getting that C-clip off is no easy task. It is a strong spring.

With your situation, if your going to replace the gasket as well, you could cut the gasket off with a knife of some sort, then just pull the three small screws out and get the vent part separated. Clean it out, and put the new gasket on (at least the radiator type gasket). Should be able to do it without pulling that clip and spring I would think.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Hey mo, look below. Dis-assembly of the lock mechanism isn't required to clear the vent in the gas cap. Take the cap off of the gas tank and set it on the bench. Just remove the 3 screws and the center piece will come off. Remove the rubber seal and you'll see a hole in a fiber washer. Just clear that hole out with a sharp point and spray some brake or carb cleaner thru and make sure it's clear thru to the other side. Also spray cleaner thru the center hole of the piece still mounted to the gas cap itself (bottom of first picture). Then reinstall the rubber seal with a hook type tool and line the screw holes up with a sharp point and install the screws. Put the cap back on the tank and you're done. HTH

2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

thank you

thank you for the help! Phil the pics did it for me as i think i can do this ,,simple to all but difficult for me THANKS! ride safe ,,slow mo!
            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
            moemcnally@hotmail.com
            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
            X