Carb and Brake issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb and Brake issues

Hi guys, The carb thing happened today, and the brake issue is pretty recent. I went on a 20 mile cruise today, stopped at the house, then took it around the block and it started running like crap, so I brought it home. Next thing i know gas is flowing out of the two right side carbs. Seriously flowing from the vent tube between the two and out of the little holes in each. I have a pic ill download later today. I put it up on the stand and it stopped, really wierd.

Then the brake issue. After about 15 minutes of riding my back brake will start to grab. Then if i keep riding it will start on fire. (dont ask) replaced it after teh fire, and now the replacement is doing the same thing. im sure a rebuild kit is in order, any other ideas?

Thanks everyone!
    1979 XS 1100 F

For the carbs, your problem may just be that the floats got stuck. Giving a tap on the side of the carbs can usually free them up. I'd only worry about it if it's a recurring problem. The fix is to pull the carb bowls off, and make sure the floats move freely and easily. There should be a tab that you can bend to stop them from falling down too far into the bowls... that can help prevent them from getting hung up.

For the brakes, you probably need to clean the spooge hole in your rear master cylinder and then do a thorough bleed.

Good luck!
    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Yep, I'm betting your floats got hung up in those carbs and putting it ont he side stand let them slip off of whatever they were hung on. Most likely the gasket on the side of the bowl.

Brakes soundlike exactly what Red stated. If it were me, I'd go ahead and pull the rear MC off and completely disassemble and clean it thoroughly. Reality is that if the spooge hole is getting plugged, there is probable alot of gunk in the system as a hole. Better to just pull it all down, and clean it all out. On Banshee, I took brake cleaner and put the straw on it and sprayed it through the brake lines thoroughly as well as cleaning the calipers and the MCs.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Thank you very much you guys! I will get working on it!
        1979 XS 1100 F

Comment

I know it's not an XS/XJ, but I'm finishing up today rebuilding the calipers on my Honda ST1100. Just pulled each piston, cleaned everything, and replaced the seals in the bores. Easy peasy and pretty cheap too. I did this after my rear caliper decided to stick on me. Gotta clean on the front and rear MCs too before I add new fluid.
          Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
          Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

I just had my rear caliper do the same this past weekend. I used my foot break at a turn light to enter the expressway. After completing the turn and picking up speed I noticed I wasn't running at the usual 4,000 RPM's for 60 MPH but instead was running at 6,500 RPM's. Then the rear end started to get loose. I looked back and my rear tire was locked up. I pulled over and was rescued by a friend with a trailer. After a trip to Dennis Kirk's and $200 I replaced both front calipers and all 6 pads and rebuilt the rear master cylinder and rear caliper. Well worth the 4.5 hours of work. I also decided to get new tires after a closer inspection (another $180).

Comment

Leak

Originally posted by niemo435 View Post
              Hi guys, The carb thing happened today, and the brake issue is pretty recent. I went on a 20 mile cruise today, stopped at the house, then took it around the block and it started running like crap, so I brought it home. Next thing i know gas is flowing out of the two right side carbs. Seriously flowing from the vent tube between the two and out of the little holes in each. I have a pic ill download later today. I put it up on the stand and it stopped, really wierd.

Then the brake issue. After about 15 minutes of riding my back brake will start to grab. Then if i keep riding it will start on fire. (dont ask) replaced it after teh fire, and now the replacement is doing the same thing. im sure a rebuild kit is in order, any other ideas?

Thanks everyone!
              When you put it on the center and the carbs stopped leaking out the intake, make sure that it didn't flow forward into cyl's, if so, change your oil before starting engin again or you may spin your bearings
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by brndncrbtt View Post
                I just had my rear caliper do the same this past weekend. I used my foot break at a turn light to enter the expressway. After completing the turn and picking up speed I noticed I wasn't running at the usual 4,000 RPM's for 60 MPH but instead was running at 6,500 RPM's. Then the rear end started to get loose. I looked back and my rear tire was locked up. I pulled over and was rescued by a friend with a trailer. After a trip to Dennis Kirk's and $200 I replaced both front calipers and all 6 pads and rebuilt the rear master cylinder and rear caliper. Well worth the 4.5 hours of work. I also decided to get new tires after a closer inspection (another $180).
                Check carefully, while locking like that can be the spoog hole on the rear master cylinder being plugged (likely to have been fixed when rebuilding it) it has been known to be caused by incorrect adjustment of the brake pedal, holding the piston in far enough to cover the spoog hole. Make sure that at rest the brake pedal is not pressing the master plunger in at all.

I'm not aware of an instance of the caliper causing a lockup that bad, but I could be wrong.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                X