Another New Guy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another New Guy!

Hi, this is the first of many posts. I have just started restoring a 1984 XJ 1100. I am sure that I will have a few dumb questions, but I will try to limit them. And, Yes, I have been reading previous posts here. I will post some before pictures soon.

Stan..
    North Vancouver B.C.
    1982 XJ1100

Welcome aboard! Wow, 2 new XJ's in the same hour! Questions are good - it's how we all learn. This is definitely the place for answers. Some of them might actually help!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

It gets better.... The XJ is what I will be riding while I do a full restoration of an 80 XS1100 you know the only one to come stock with the Yamaha Faring..

If This does not drive me crazy, nothing will !!!
      1982 XJ1100

Comment

Welcome

Welcome, ask away, I am sure someone on here has been through what ever comes up on your bike, better to ask 1st then to cry later
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by tantor View Post
          It gets better.... The XJ is what I will be riding while I do a full restoration of an 80 XS1100 you know the only one to come stock with the Yamaha Faring..

If This does not drive me crazy, nothing will !!!
          Actually the only one that came stock with the Yamaha fairing was the XS1100H which is an 81 model. If the build date on the neck is in 1980 its almost for sure an 81. This is significant because the ignition system on the 81's is different than earlier years, incorporating the centrifugal advance into the electronics of the TCI, meaning a more complex and expensive TCI than the earlier models. Also the 81 standard is the only standard to come with slotted rotors standard, all the other standard models had non-slotted rotors, with the specials getting the slotted rotors in 80.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Yes, the other bike is an 81.

Anyways, I've been doing a bunch of clean up, and tinkering, but the Vroom Vroom sound isn't happening yet. The bike sat for 4 years, and salt air isn't kind to anything.

I know that the solenoid is suspect, but before I replace that, I have to do some digging, and find out why I have less than 1 volt coming to the solenoid.

If there are any suggestions of the usual suspect items, fire away. For right now, I'm checking and cleaning all contacts from stem to stern. After that, my multi meter is going to earn it's keep, as I try to find the faulty parts.

It's going to be interesting, and I now have an excuse to drink beer in the shop, and swear at the Black Beast!
            1982 XJ1100

Comment

Welcome! Great info here!
              Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
              Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Your already on the first step. Eliminate the connections as a factor and keep on plugging away. Good luck with her and don't be afraid to ask questions
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

For right now, I'm checking and cleaning all contacts from stem to stern.
                  Here's the problem with just cleaning the connections - you can get corrosion that works it's way up inside the wire sheath, and no amount of cleaning is going to get it out. That corrosion can cause resistance, and resistance generates heat - enough to melt wire sheaths and connector housings. I cleaned every connection on mine, and was still only getting about 11v at the TCI. I went through them again, but instead of cleaning I cut the ends off the wires and crimped on new connectors. That got me back to 12v at the TCI.

Geezer sells a nice compound crimper that does a perfect factory double crimp for about $25. I think he sells the connectors and housings as well. You want to make sure you use the appropriate connectors for the wires - copper connectors for copper wires, and aluminum for aluminum wires. Dissimilar metals crimped or plugged together will accelerate corrosion. Do it right and you shouldn't have to mess with it again for another 30 years.

Good luck with it, and welcome to Ch11 .
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Welcome!!!! I was in your spot a year ago...since then i have half a$$ed rebuilt two sets of carbs (triple cleaned them both), replaced all my brakelines rebuilt calipers added stainless lines, and a fair amount of other items that i wouldnt have gotten done without the expertise of those on the site. Good luck!!!

I have a spare fairing, a windjammer with the square headlight...but no mounting hardware. it has a couple of structural cracks, but have been told if you know what you are doing, you can repair it.....it has no windscreen either....
                    im sure shipping would be a bit pricey, but anyone interested, ill take some pics and post them.
                    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                    Windjammer(wiring issues)
                    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                    New paint/brakes to come!!
                    ===============
                    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                    ===============
                    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                    Stock Pilots/125 mains
                    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                    LED Brake Lite
                    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by tantor View Post
                      Hi, this is the first of many posts. I have just started restoring a 1984 XJ 1100. I am sure that I will have a few dumb questions, but I will try to limit them. And, Yes, I have been reading previous posts here. I will post some before pictures soon.

Stan..
                      North Vancouver B.C.
                      Hi Stan and welcome,
                      tantor, eh? Another ERB fan, right?
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi Stan and welcome,
                        tantor, eh? Another ERB fan, right?
                        I was thinking Disney's Tarzan...
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Welcome to the club! Great bikes and great people here willing to help.
                          The wiring and connectors on my bike were in good shape. Just needed a little cleaning and dielectric grease but my bikes PO may have been more diligent in taking care of the bike.

Deny
                          1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                          1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                            I was thinking Disney's Tarzan...
                            Bingo! I earned that nickname in the 90s for the way that I crashed through computer systems, and did not care what carnage I left in my wake!
                            1982 XJ1100

Comment

welcome tantor

you sir are in the right place! not only are you here at xs11.com you are very close to our resident parts guru Andreas wiess,,which can only be a good thing ,,welcome again and ride safe ! slow mo!
                              The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                              moemcnally@hotmail.com
                              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
                              X