Beating a dead horse, but I really want to know about your Supertrapps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating a dead horse, but I really want to know about your Supertrapps

I emailed a fellow named Bruce Schultz over at supertrapp about doing a limited run if we could get enough preorders and this was his response:
    Thanks for your interest and positive feedback regarding our product. Unfortunately when the decision to discontinue a product is made the drawings, weld fixtures and weld fixtures are scrapped to make room for new product. To provide a “new” product would mean starting from scratch. The development of a new old product is just not cost effective.
    Seeing how the only state side exhaust seem to be undesirable, I have decided to make my own. I have looked and looked for measurements for a supertrapp or kerker on this site and I cant seem to find them, plenty of people have asked but it seems like noone has measured. If there is a thread could you kindly point me in the right direction. If not could some one please measuse for me.
    I do not need to know measurements for where the bends are, I am just looking for primary length and collector length and if it steps to a different size after that size and length.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

The best I could do with a metal tape, an eye ball to lengths at center, and a couple drinks... head to collector~23" @ 1.5" diameter pipe, collector length 5" with the collector muffer joint @ 2.5" diameter pipe.
    Last edited by 81xsproject; 08-24-2010, 06:24 AM.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

cafejunky

Originally posted by cafejunky78 View Post
      I emailed a fellow named Bruce Schultz over at supertrapp about doing a limited run if we could get enough preorders and this was his response:
      Thanks for your interest and positive feedback regarding our product. Unfortunately when the decision to discontinue a product is made the drawings, weld fixtures and weld fixtures are scrapped to make room for new product. To provide a “new” product would mean starting from scratch. The development of a new old product is just not cost effective.
      Seeing how the only state side exhaust seem to be undesirable, I have decided to make my own. I have looked and looked for measurements for a supertrapp or kerker on this site and I cant seem to find them, plenty of people have asked but it seems like noone has measured. If there is a thread could you kindly point me in the right direction. If not could some one please measuse for me.
      I do not need to know measurements for where the bends are, I am just looking for primary length and collector length and if it steps to a different size after that size and length.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks
      Hope your pipes come great, I am guessing 4 into 1? Just a heads up, strait throgh pipes will only be good at the drage strip as you will lose low end back pressure that is needed for these bikes to work on the street
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Thanks. I have another question

Thanks 81xsproject, that is was very helpfull. It is allmost nuts on from what my header calculator I downloaded said for the big bore and cams I want to run said but I wanted to make sure. Oem4me I realize I am going to loose some low end with this set up but this bike is not my daily driver (thats what my vstar is for) and will see more hot rodding around and free way then any thing else. These pipes seem to perform well enough for most and I am going to run the tunable megaphone trapp sells, so I think it should work for me. My next question is with my hayabusa front end I sit kind of low, and I was thinking about merging the pipes all on the same plane instead of a two over two collector. I have not seen it done like that before is there a reason for this will it hurt performance? Any input on this would be nice.
        Thanks

Comment

tunable megaphone trapp

Thanks 81xsproject, that is was very helpfull. It is allmost nuts on from what my header calculator I downloaded said for the big bore and cams I want to run said but I wanted to make sure. Oem4me I realize I am going to loose some low end with this set up but this bike is not my daily driver (thats what my vstar is for) and will see more hot rodding around and free way then any thing else. These pipes seem to perform well enough for most and I am going to run the tunable megaphone trapp sells, so I think it should work for me. My next question is with my hayabusa front end I sit kind of low, and I was thinking about merging the pipes all on the same plane instead of a two over two collector. I have not seen it done like that before is there a reason for this will it hurt performance? Any input on this would be nice.
          Thanks
          Not trying to start a fight, just trying to help your project. Sounds like you have it under controll with your tunable megaphone trapp
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

No worries, I appreciate your input.

I hope I did not sound put off or any thing with my response, I appreciate all input. After all, thats why I joined this forum, to learn from people much smarter then I.

Comment

I have seen exhausts that join on one plane, bit not many. The Cambell's X-pipe is one, the other was an awesome 4-2-1 that we had on my buddies KZ1000 for a while. It was a great exhaust performing exhaust system that also merged apposing cylinders (1&4, and 2&3) at the 4-2 junctions.
              Last edited by 81xsproject; 08-24-2010, 06:30 AM.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

There was a suggestion on a different xs forum that one of the problems with loosing power with aftermarket exhaust was possibly caused by the lack of the inner wall of the header pipes. The outside diameter of the pipes is the same but the stock headers has the inner wall which effectively reduces the inside diameter of the header pipes by 1/4 to 1/2 inch which helps keep the exhaust gasses moving faster and also give the back pressure required. If one were to give this a try you would just need to make a reducer to bolt up to the head and then reduce it down to the actual inside diameter of the stock headers. I know there is one guy on here from over in Europe (dont remember where though) that made his own exhaust for his XS and he did use the pipe to match the inside diameter and he stated that he did not notice any loss of power in his low, mid, or high end.

Something to think about.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  There was a suggestion on a different xs forum that one of the problems with loosing power with aftermarket exhaust was possibly caused by the lack of the inner wall of the header pipes. The outside diameter of the pipes is the same but the stock headers has the inner wall which effectively reduces the inside diameter of the header pipes by 1/4 to 1/2 inch which helps keep the exhaust gasses moving faster and also give the back pressure required. If one were to give this a try you would just need to make a reducer to bolt up to the head and then reduce it down to the actual inside diameter of the stock headers...
                  Maybe something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Torque-.../dp/B001P54VXG

These are used on Harleys as a 'crutch' if running large-diamenter, low restriction pipes and/or straight pipes to prevent reversion and boost low-end power. They do work, and generally better than a restriction further downstream. But the only ones I've seen are 1.75" diameter, so you'll probably have make some for the smaller XS ports...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

That would be the idea. I dont know if I would call it a crutch. Especially since the stock pipes on the XS really are that small. Looks can be deceiving. I do agree that the smaller pipes would look a little odd but i bet it would add to the attention that an nice lookin XS already gets. If I had a welder (currently looking to rectify this one) and access to a mandrel bender for the pipes I would totally try to make a exhaust out of smaller diameter pipe.

If desperate (or ingenious depending on how you look at it) and one had a trashed set of original headers you could even just use that as the reducer. Just cut it off after the double wall starts and then trim off the outer wall and clean it up.

Another advantage to smaller diameter pipes would be more room for wideband O2 sensors to help tune!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Cool

I hope I did not sound put off or any thing with my response, I appreciate all input. After all, thats why I joined this forum, to learn from people much smarter then I.
                      No problem. just sometimes I may come across different then intended Hard to tell on email. Here are some Ideas from across the pond, might help your designing or may have some ideas of where to get some parts

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=5436.0
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Working...
                      X