performance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update time!

Spent a few hours today tearing the bike down and got the carbs out on a table and cleaned them up good with a nice tear down. Replaced all four spark plugs ensuring there was spasrk being received to each which there was.

So I start it up and wait a few then touch the headers now this is strange. Four is now firing alongside one and two. Three is cold as a rock still.

So for good measure I set the petcocks to pri on both sides after the first attempt was on the on position.

I'm thinking the carb that feed three is still having issues?
    1982 XJ1100

Comment

Originally posted by 1982XS View Post
      got the carbs out on a table and cleaned them up good with a nice tear down. Three is cold as a rock still.
      Did you remove the following, and clean all the holes and passages?

Pilot jets
      Main jets
      Emulsion tubes
      idle mixture screws
      float bowl orifices (non-removable)
      idle air jet
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Everything I could remove by screw was done just that. Checked floats, jets etc... I am stumped..
        1982 XJ1100

Comment

Just a thought: Is there a mouse/hornet nest in your right side exhaust? If you have the exhaust headers off again, you can try to start the bike, and you'll see pretty quick if it's firing on all four. Flames should shoot out of the exhaust ports, so make sure you're not around anything flammable, and you may want a fire extinguisher handy just in case. You may want ear plugs for that too....

Try opening the drain on the bowl for your #3 carb. At least then you'll know if you're getting fuel into the carb, or if the fuel's just not getting out of the carb.

Good luck!
          '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Pull the plug caps off Nos. 2 and 3. Take the cap that used to be on 2 and put it on 3. take the cap that used to be on 3 and put it on 2. Did the problem follow the spark plug wire? If so, unscrew the spark plug cap from the wire that is not firing. Trim the wire back maybe 1/8 inch, until you can see clean copper. Screw the cap back on. Try it now.

JAT.

Patrick
            The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
            1969 Yamaha DT1B
            Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Lol no, there is no low rent housing in my exhaust xD

Good idea on switching cables but won't that cause a order issue?
              1982 XJ1100

Comment

Just finished trying switching plug wires from 2 and 3 around and two still fires, three is cold. So then I guess the carbs are coming off again for a really indiscriminaste look over ?
                1982 XJ1100

Comment

Yeah, it looks like carb time. I think you have eliminated spark as the issue. There is still the possibility that there is an issue with compression in that cylinder, but a dirty carb is much more likely.

Patrick
                  The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                  1969 Yamaha DT1B
                  Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Working...
                  X