Hand Grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Grips

I would like to put the Kuryakyn ISO Grips on my 82 XJ1100 Maxim. Is this possible? Has anyone else changed their grips? is there anything I need to know about changing them?
    1982 XJ1100J Maxim
    MAC 4-1 Megaphone Exhaust
    Chicago Area
    Working on/Looking For:
    Crash Bars
    Saddle Bags
    Taller Sissy Bar
    Turn Signals (all 4)
    Windshield
    A Lot of Little Stuff

I have the Kuryakyn Iso grips on all of my XS11's and love them. I imagine the XJ would be similar so I will tell you what I had to do. The Kuryakyn is longer than the stock ones so they have to have a spacer in the end before you slide the grips on. I used some washers on one set and a brass tube on another (could use PVC or similar as well). They end up being something in the order of 5/8" long. This also serves the purpose of a bar end weight which helps with the vibration issue as well.

The clutch side is a simple glue and slip on. The throttle side is a matter of sanding off the raised nubs until you can slide the grip on. I used emery cloth to achieve this and it worked nicely. Make sure you can slide the grip on before you attempt to glue it for sure. It should be a very tight fit but go on. When you apply the glue it will act as a lubricant when putting the grip on (at least for a few milliseconds). Once you have applied the glue to either grip DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT waste time...get it on there in one smooth and quick shot. You will not get a second chance. Where you stop is where the grip stays. That glue they come with is awesome stuff but very fast acting.

Positioning is also important and you have to decide ahead of time what works for you as the glue does not give you time to change that. Select where you think is most comfortable and have that position in mind when you slip the glued grip on. Good luck with it and I think you will enjoy them.

Oh and just a small side note ...As these grips are much thicker than stock grips the brake adjustment may need to be done as it tends to feel too far away. The clutch adjustment is also a bit harder as there is not as much travel room for the clutch lever.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks Ras

Yeah these Grips are the most comfortable grips I have ever used. I have ridden a few different bike, and I love these. I appreciate all the help, do you have any pics of your bikes posted on here?
      1982 XJ1100J Maxim
      MAC 4-1 Megaphone Exhaust
      Chicago Area
      Working on/Looking For:
      Crash Bars
      Saddle Bags
      Taller Sissy Bar
      Turn Signals (all 4)
      Windshield
      A Lot of Little Stuff

Comment

Here are a couple of my 79SF. I do not have any recent ones of my 78E and the 81 is apart at the moment. I have posted these pics before but what the heck.

2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Hand grips

Hey Rasputin,
          Are those Jardine turn-outs on your bike? They would solve 2 issues on my bagger I have with straight shot mufflers; burning the bag bottoms, and getting the rear wheel off.
          Any idea where I can get a pair? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jamak View Post
            Hey Rasputin,
            Are those Jardine turn-outs on your bike? They would solve 2 issues on my bagger I have with straight shot mufflers; burning the bag bottoms, and getting the rear wheel off.
            I think you can still get the turnouts (idk the source) but you cannot get the Jardine headers anymore...
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by jamak View Post
              Hey Rasputin,
              My exhaust system is the way Jardine made them. I installed these in 1983 when you could still buy many kinds of exhaust setups for the XS11's. I have no idea who makes turnouts that would work. I still have a set of factory head pipes here but no mufflers on them. It would be cool to find another set of turnouts to fit those.
              2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

I believe its Mac that makes the turn-outs still. IDK if you can just buy the turn-outs though. They combine cylinders 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 and have no cross connect between the two...their headers are considered to be lower quality and offer little performance gain...
                Last edited by WMarshy; 09-02-2010, 05:49 AM.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                X