16" Wheel on the front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" Wheel on the front?

Anyone tried to mount a 16" rear wheel on the front? I would like to match the front and rear wheel sizes and 16" seems like the easiest compromise.
    1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special (Cafe Project)
    2003 Honda ST1300 (Daily Driver)
    2003 Suzuki DR-Z 400S (Dirty Beast)
    ...obviously I need a Kawasaki of some sort.

I would think that this change would change the geometry of the bike. I could see more weight to the front end causing some handling issues. I may be all wet on this, but some one on here will probably know.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

It can be done, but it will involve custom parts; there is no bolt-on solution that I'm aware of. The OEM rear wheel is out, as there's too many differences (width, axle size, lack of two places to mount brake rotors, etc). You may be able to find a sport bike front wheel that may fit, but many of the same issues will be there. Probably the easiest choice would be a laced (spoked) front wheel off a '82-up XS650 as these wheels have hubs that fit without mods and will accept the stock brakes/rotors. Have a 16" rim laced to the hub and find a tire that will fit. The tire will be the big problem, as most 16" tires are too wide to fit between the forks. If you can match tire diameters (old vs new), handling will pretty much be the same.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I would love to have spokes, but then you run into the problem of what to do out back. Has anyone done a shaft drive spoked wheel, or is the only way to accomplish that, swapping the shaft for a chain drive?

I have considered using the shaft/final drive/hub/wheel parts from a 2000 V-Star, but haven't found a good enough deal yet to play with the parts.

Comment

The big monkey wrench with 'matching' wheel swaps on these is the rear wheel; your choices consist of the XS/XJ, and that's it. Yamaha did make a very limited-production 750 or 850 model that had laced wheels that would fit a XS11, but there was only about 200 built, and were only sold in Japan, so the chances of finding one of those???

So that leaves you with a chain-drive conversion ($$$) and/or a swingarm swap ($$).

The only other possibilities would be to use the 7-spoke cast XS wheels, and cut/weld the front wheel hub/spokes into a rear wheel rim; you'd need first-class welding and machining to do this safely. Or have a custom rear hub built that could be laced to a 'standard' 16" rim. Either would no doubt be big $$$...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

?

Originally posted by aviatorkev View Post
            Anyone tried to mount a 16" rear wheel on the front? I would like to match the front and rear wheel sizes and 16" seems like the easiest compromise.
            You have a bike that is worth $1,900.00 on a good day, you want to do a mod that cost $1,900.00 on a good day to make your bike do what?
            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Hi Kev,
              low-budget way is to swap in the front wheel and forks off a Honda VF750F. That gets you to a 16" front wheel without paying out a fortune although you might have to get creative about the triple tree fit-up.
              But why the insistence on same-size wheels? The front tire will be narrower and have a different tread pattern anyway?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My '79 is a cafe project but it started life as a Special. The wheel swap was to get everything back into the right proportions. I am also looking for a standard tank to get a more appropriate shape. I'll post some pics when I get a little closer. Going through the carbs now.

Comment

My '79 is a cafe project but it started life as a Special. The wheel swap was to get everything back into the right proportions. I am also looking for a standard tank to get a more appropriate shape. I'll post some pics when I get a little closer. Going through the carbs now.
                  If you're looking to have the same 'size' F/R, then the easiest thing to do would be to swap to a 17" rear wheel off a 'standard'. The 130/90-17 tire will be very close to the same overall diameter as the 19" front. And it's a bolt-on deal; you'll need the wheel, the two 'standard' spacers (the special only has one), and the 'standard' steel brake caliper bracket. The rotor, caliper, and caliper bracket are the same.

Waaay easier than trying to fit a smaller wheel to the front....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    If you're looking to have the same 'size' F/R, then the easiest thing to do would be to swap to a 17" rear wheel off a 'standard'. - - -
                    Hi Steve,
                    Kev's desired cafe look could use more parts from a Standard than the rear wheel and the Standard tank he's looking for. Swapping in a complete Standard front fork and an early Standard seat with the plastic bumstop for instance.
                    About the tire ODs, 100/90-19 = 26.1" 130/90-16 = 25.2" 100/90-16 = 23.1" & 130/90-17 = 26.2"
                    Last edited by fredintoon; 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hmmm... What would I gain by swapping to the standard front forks? How are they different?

Comment

Hmmm... What would I gain by swapping to the standard front forks? How are they different?
                        In terms of overall fork geometry, nothing. But the 'standard' forks don't have that 'leading axle' setup your special forks have (the axle attaches to the end of the forks), as well as having the ability to swap to better brakes if you have fab skills. The special forks would be extremely difficult to do that on...

And those weird 'special' brakes can be somewhat problematic; the standard brakes are generally less troublesome. If you swap, you do need to swap the trees to match the forks, as the geometry is different, and bad handling can result.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Working...
                          X