First Bike and clueless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bike and clueless

I was given a 1982 Maxim 1100 for free (it was stored since 94' with no hopes in the near future). It displays 16K miles on it. The seat looks like it was stitches yesterday and the tires are great. The tank was empty but rust free inside. I had to put a battery in it and she started right up (first since 94'). I have never owned a bike before but i have ridden friends, just enough to get my license. So naturally i have questions....

1) In my research i have discovered there is an xj as well as an xs and i see the xs has bigger valves and more power and the xj is more fuel friendly. But how in the world do you know which one you have?

2) I did an oil change (wix filter 24933 and yamalube 10-40W) but can not find and air filter. I installed a new battery and ran my first tank with sea foam. It runs fine with the choke still 25% engaged idling at 800 rpm (idling at 1100 rpm is smoother) but without the choke slightly on it dies. Any tips? I talked to the local shop and to have the carbs rebuilt and timed it would be about $300. Should i do it and is that a good price?

3) How in the world do you get it up on the stand. I am a 230lb Army boy and i have trouble. lol

It also needs fork seals.....

Comment

Welcome to the site!
      1. The Maxim IS an XJ, same bike, different name. If you look at the engine or frame number, it should start with 10M-00XXXX. Here is the link for the serial numbers:http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396
      2. The air filter for the bike is VERY hard to find. It's a ONE YEAR ONLY in the US, though Canada used it for two years.
      DO NOT ALLOW A SHOP TO WORK ON YOUR BIKE!!! You will learn more about it after two months than most shops will ever learn. From what you have said, you will need to pull the carbs and clean them. This isn't hard, just do one at a time, and you do NOT need to take the bodies off the mount bars. Read the tech tips, as that will help. You can buy the tool for doing the sync. for about $120, and then you have it for the rest of your life. MUCH cheaper than someone else doing it, and YOU will know it's done correctly.
      3. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492 This is the EASY way!
      Post you location in your signiture, and you may find you have someone close buy who can help with some of the stuff.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by brndncrbtt View Post
        I was given a 1982 Maxim 1100 for free (it was stored since 94' with no hopes in the near future). It displays 16K miles on it. The seat looks like it was stitches yesterday and the tires are great. The tank was empty but rust free inside. I had to put a battery in it and she started right up (first since 94'). I have never owned a bike before but i have ridden friends, just enough to get my license. So naturally i have questions....
        Wowww....a pristine runner for free!!! I never even had dreams of such things!! Santa thought you were a very good boy this year!!!

1) In my research i have discovered there is an xj as well as an xs and i see the xs has bigger valves and more power and the xj is more fuel friendly. But how in the world do you know which one you have?
        You stated you have an 82 Maxim, that is the XJ. The XS model was made from 78-81, in 82 they switched to the XJ, it was also givent he name Maxim.

2) I did an oil change (wix filter 24933 and yamalube 10-40W) but can not find and air filter.
        As to the 10W40 oil, unless you live in a very cool climate, you will want to swap that out for 20W50. That is the recomended viscosity for these air cooled machines. The air filter in inside that chrome box behind the carbs. On the bottom is four wing nuts, loosen them and the bottom drops out with the air filter.

I installed a new battery and ran my first tank with sea foam. It runs fine with the choke still 25% engaged idling at 800 rpm (idling at 1100 rpm is smoother) but without the choke slightly on it dies. Any tips?
        1100 RPM is the factory suggested idle for these machines. As to the engine quitting without choke, well, that typically means the carbs are not as clean as you might have hoped. The choke, is an enricher and adds fuel to the mixture instead of cutting off air flow. Your low rpm or idle circuits are dirty most likely. Best suggestion is to start the fun process of removing the carbs (a harder task on the XJ models, but not prohibitive of performing the work) and cleaning up the carbs. Buy plenty of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench and alot of Carb Cleaner.

I talked to the local shop and to have the carbs rebuilt and timed it would be about $300. Should i do it and is that a good price?
        Well, you can do it for about 1/3 of that price if you buy complete rebuild kits. And learn alot about how the bike runs in the process. Typically, most places do more harm than good trying to work on them.

3) How in the world do you get it up on the stand. I am a 230lb Army boy and i have trouble. lol
        Its voodoo black magic!!! Actually, its technique more than strength. There is a tech tip on how to do it. The key is to pull and back up on the frame under the seat near the shock while you step down on the centerstand. With a little practice, you will learn how to let it reach the balance point and gently rock back onto the stand.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks guys... It sounds like i will be learning how to rebuild carbs. I am a car guy and carbs and automatic transmissions have always been my shy point but after looking at the tips forums it sounds quite easy. And thanks again.

Comment

After 16 years, even if they "look" good, you should replace the tires.

For a quick carb clean, try running Seafoam through the system. That could solve the stalling problem. But go for the carb cleaning if you feel up to it.

Also, post pix
            1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Carb sync

Thanks guys... It sounds like i will be learning how to rebuild carbs. I am a car guy and carbs and automatic transmissions have always been my shy point but after looking at the tips forums it sounds quite easy. And thanks again.
              here a two carb sync tools under $100.00, both will work but you get what you pay for

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carb-...motiveQ5fTools

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbu...motiveQ5fTools
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                here a two carb sync tools under $100.00, both will work but you get what you pay for

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carb-...motiveQ5fTools

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbu...motiveQ5fTools
                I got a set off ebay for under $50 before shipping and they work quite well. Took a little fiddling with the restrictor valves to get them right, but that is often the case with any of them.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

$46.00

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  I got a set off ebay for under $50 before shipping and they work quite well. Took a little fiddling with the restrictor valves to get them right, but that is often the case with any of them.
                  Yea, the one set I sent him a link to is $46.00 before shipping and will do the job OK
                  1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                  1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                  1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

On the stand...

DGXSER is right. Right hand on the bar just to the rear of the shock. Pull up. Step down on the center stand and let the bike do the work. All technique...

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      The air filter in inside that chrome box behind the carbs. On the bottom is four wing nuts, loosen them and the bottom drops out with the air filter.

Hey DG,

It's my turn(remember my faux paux with the petcocks front spouts) !

The XJ's filter actually comes out the SIDE of the housing, there is a handle on it, and it slides out once you take the side cover off of the air box off!

They are still available from Yamaha and BikeBandit, but at a premium price of $53.00 or more!! A few folks have gotten ingenious in making a reuasble/washable one out of the OEM unit with parts from a K&N. I made one from some lawnmower filter foam and silicone gasket/glue and such!?

Again, Awesome find/gift!! Find any post by Catatonic Bug, he has links in his profile to download manuals both owners and service for your bike, will help a lot in your endeavors to get it road worthy!

YES...check the BORN ON DATE in the little oval on the tire....usually 4 numbers, 2 are week, 2 are year....ie. 2304 23rd week of 2004. More than 5-6 years old, they are dry rotted, will be very HARD and slippery=unsafe, and with only 2 wheels and a few square inches contact patch, you want GOOD tires!!

Please take the time to read thru the tech tips, ie. clutch adjustment, cam chain tensioner adjustment, etc., done wrong can cause severe damage to the engine! Also, aside from the Engine oil/filter, you also need to change the MIDDLE drive and FINAL drive fluids....synthetic is Ok in there. Same for fork oil. Most suggest getting OEM fork seals...seem to last longer than aftermarket..YMMV!

The XJ along with the later year XS's had the larger valves, but milder cams, for EPA vs. performance, but it's not that much of a drop! Also, never having ridden bikes aside from your friends for the license...don't know if your state requires it, but would HIGHLY suggest the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Also, take a look in the MISC forum for the Invisible thread, a real EYE opener IMHO! Even though these are 30 y/o old machines, they were the Hiabusa of their era, and are still quite powerful and can get you into trouble quickly if you don't know how to handle them SAFELY!

How much Seafoam did you put in? Try a 1/2 bottle instead of just a few ounces, run it for a little while, then let it sit for a day or so to soak, may help in getting the pilot/idle circuit jets a little more clear!? That way you could possibly keep riding until the season is over, THEN take your time working the carbs over.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by malber View Post
                        After 16 years, even if they "look" good, you should replace the tires.
                        +1 to that! No matter how good they look, tires that old are hard as a rock! One hard turn, and you'll be eating asphalt. DAMHIK

As mentioned, you can download a manual for the XJ from the link in my signature. You asked how to tell the difference between the XS and the XJ? That's the easy one! The XJ has swirly wheels and a more prominent drop to the rear of the fuel tank. Super easy to tell, just by looking at it. The hard part is telling the difference between each model/year of the XS's! It's doable, but takes more learning.

Oh, and get some pictures posted! We wanna drool over your free ride too!
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                          Hey DG,

It's my turn(remember my faux paux with the petcocks front spouts) !

The XJ's filter actually comes out the SIDE of the housing, there is a handle on it, and it slides out once you take the side cover off of the air box off!
                          Dooohhhh...... There is the result of that azz-u-me thing again (mostly the me part there).
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

I just took off for 3 days on the bike and feel great! I had 1 day planned to ride but didn't come home for 3.

I did put new tires on and i replaced all 6 pads and the front calipers, rebuilt the rear caliper (because i couldn't find one) and the rear master cylinder. I still have the stock handle bars on but i did make a few adjustments and modifications to get the set up that was most comfortable for me. I still have to do the fork seals and the carb rebuild but the riding season here in Minnesota is almost over so I plan to wait for a few weeks before i tear it apart.

I am working on posting pics right now.... How in the world do i post them? Where do i post them?

Comment

- - - I am working on posting pics right now.... How in the world do i post them? Where do i post them?
                              Hi Brandon,
                              this site will not accept photos from your computer so it's a 2-step process.
                              Step 1) Put your photos on a public site such as photobucket.
                              Step 2) When you post to this site, open your public site and alt+c the bottommost link on the photo you wish to send then alt+v the link into your post.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X