Vetter Touring Pack Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetter Touring Pack Question

Ok, here's one for those with the Vetter touring pack. How to you keep the rear blinkers from spinning around back there? Mine keep rotating from the vibration and if I don't keep and eye on them, they end up facing the front (which does no good since they face the saddlebags then). What do you do to keep them from rotating around like that. There doesn't seem to be anything on the mounting hardware to hold them in place, just a round hole that the rod goes through.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
    Ok, here's one for those with the Vetter touring pack. How to you keep the rear blinkers from spinning around back there? Mine keep rotating from the vibration and if I don't keep and eye on them, they end up facing the front (which does no good since they face the saddlebags then). What do you do to keep them from rotating around like that. There doesn't seem to be anything on the mounting hardware to hold them in place, just a round hole that the rod goes through.
    Can you use one of those toothed lock washers inside between the tank and the nut?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

I used red Lock Tite. No problems.
      Me Make Big Dings Wid Hamma N Welda

1979 XS1100F
      1985 VMX1200

Comment

Mine doesn't move, as long as I tighten it down really good. There is a rubber cup/washer between the stem and the rack though. It was on the stem when I removed it from the stock position.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Ok, here's one for those with the Vetter touring pack. How to you keep the rear blinkers from spinning around back there? - - -
          Hi Cy,
          go here:-
          http://www.mikesxs.net/products-31.html#products
          Rear signal mounting kit #09 6505 at $12 each. You need 2 kits.
          Not a simple plug-in though, you gotta drill & file the brackets to make the egg-shaped holes the kits fit in.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi Cy,
            go here:-
            http://www.mikesxs.net/products-31.html#products
            Rear signal mounting kit #09 6505 at $12 each. You need 2 kits.
            Not a simple plug-in though, you gotta drill & file the brackets to make the egg-shaped holes the kits fit in.
            That won't work, as I also have the brace for the luggage rack there as well, and AFAICT there is not enough metal there to hog the hole out far enough, but the rubber washer thing combine with locktite I think may do the trick.
            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Spade Fuse Box
            750 FD Mod
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

That won't work, as I also have the brace for the luggage rack there as well, - - -
              Hi Cy,
              of course it will. Just cut some 1/8" thick aluminum plates big enough for the egg-shaped hole plus two smaller ones that align with the original signal hole and the hole the brace bolts onto so you have 2 bolts each side so the new plate can't turn.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Cy,
                of course it will. Just cut some 1/8" thick aluminum plates big enough for the egg-shaped hole plus two smaller ones that align with the original signal hole and the hole the brace bolts onto so you have 2 bolts each side so the new plate can't turn.
                I wish I had something that could cut aluminum that thick and have it still look good afterwards. I think I'll have better luck with the rubber washers and locktite, seeing as cutting tools are what I'm short at this point. Not only that, I can pick up the parts for the washer and locktite fix tomorrow and have it fixed and riding tomorrow night, and I can still take on the other if it doesn't work, but if I try the other first, I gotta wait several days to find out that I can't make a piece to do that on my own anyways.

Plus, those ears on mine have a square end, so if I end up going that way, I may just do the 1/8th aluminum and put a square hole in it now that you've given me the idea. I still have to figure out how to do it, but maybe I can take it down somewhere and have them do it, assuming the simpler faster fixed don't work. I'm just not the master fabricator you are. You should get a job with Orange County Choppers, or course you would insist on them having a rear suspension!

Oh, and to make matters worse, I've gotta cut the wires because a PO when wiring these soldered and shrink wrapped them so it's one continuous line from the plugin under the seat. Good for reliability, but not for being able to take the blasted things off the fix this.
                Last edited by cywelchjr; 08-20-2010, 07:01 PM.
                Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Spade Fuse Box
                750 FD Mod
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Purists, avert your eyes.....

These are not stock, but I found they fit the luggage rack very well. I found these a few years ago in a MC boneyard north of here. I was doing Hondas at the time. I believe these are off a Goldwing. The mounting bolt diameter is perfect for the hole in the bracket and the stainless nut tightens them down real well. Sadly, the stem is too fat for the stock XS taillight fixture. I had real issues with clearance when I tried to mount the stock taillights. And I didn't feel like filing the mounting holes for the square stock peg.

Patrick
                  The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                  1969 Yamaha DT1B
                  Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Well, interesting how when you have a plan to deal with a problem, it goes away. Now that I have a plan of action for the turn signals rotating, they have stopped doing it. I'm still going to implement the plan as soon as I have the time to get down and find the materials and do the work, but for now, I don't have to keep turning them back into the correct postion.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                    X