Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam replacement: Stupid is as stupid does...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam replacement: Stupid is as stupid does...

Sigh.

I pulled the head off this week to address a couple of problems (oil leak at head gasket and worn valve stem seals, replace the intake carb boots). All went well. Not the first time I've had this bike apart and it went fairly easy.

Problem was, once I got it back together, it wouldn't start! It turned over fine and all cylinders were firing, but it wouldn't fire up. After messing with it a while, I decide to try the other method: walk away and let my brain think about it a while.

Unfortunately, once it had peculated through the gray matter, I DID figure out the problem: I reinstalled the bloody cams with the crank at the C mark instead of TDC! What an IDIOT!

I've decided to call it a night for now. Tomorrow, I'll tear it apart and see if I damaged any valves. From the notes in the manual, I have got to be RIGHT at the limit on how far out the valves can be before things start to hit. On the bright side, everything FELT smooth when I was first turned it over by hand, so maybe... Otherwise, it looks like I will be ordering a set of valves from Geezer after all!

What an idiot...
    -- Clint
    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Hey

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
    Sigh.

I pulled the head off this week to address a couple of problems (oil leak at head gasket and worn valve stem seals, replace the intake carb boots). All went well. Not the first time I've had this bike apart and it went fairly easy.

Problem was, once I got it back together, it wouldn't start! It turned over fine and all cylinders were firing, but it wouldn't fire up. After messing with it a while, I decide to try the other method: walk away and let my brain think about it a while.

Unfortunately, once it had peculated through the gray matter, I DID figure out the problem: I reinstalled the bloody cams with the crank at the C mark instead of TDC! What an IDIOT!

I've decided to call it a night for now. Tomorrow, I'll tear it apart and see if I damaged any valves. From the notes in the manual, I have got to be RIGHT at the limit on how far out the valves can be before things start to hit. On the bright side, everything FELT smooth when I was first turned it over by hand, so maybe... Otherwise, it looks like I will be ordering a set of valves from Geezer after all!

What an idiot...
    Hey, the good news is it didnt fire, just turned over. If you had big valve clearance problems you should have felt/heard it when turning over by hand. Good luck, hope all works well for you and your bike
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Chances are your valves are OK. If you had the cam dots lines up while the crank was on the 'C' mark then the valves are still in correct relation to each other, just not the pistons. You retarded the cam tining by 45 degrees and thats why the motor would not start.

If one of the valves was contacting a piston, you would most likely feel it.
      So, if you did not feel a definate hang-up turning the crank by hand to check the cam alignment then you are probably OK.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Well, it appears all is well with the valves. I got things timed correctly this morning and it fired right up. No strange noises, no additional ticking from the valves (has anyone actually heard an XS11 that DIDN'T make SOME noise from the valve train?).

This weekend, I'll run the valves and resync it and get it out on the road. For now, I need to hit the road myself, so it will have to sit in the shop for a few days.
        -- Clint

Comment

I'm happy for you that the valves are OK. I know they're easy to bend. OTOH, Geezer's valves are way good and his intakes provide a low end boost that has to be experienced to believe. And...his prices are way right!
          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Poprock View Post
            OTOH, Geezer's valves are way good and his intakes provide a low end boost that has to be experienced to believe
            I was actually kind of looking forward to that! Unfortunately, there just isn't any way I can justify the valves unless I have to have the valves. But at the rate I am going through my "spare" valves, I'll be ordering a set before I know it!

Let's see:

1) timing chain broke and took out three valves (2 exhaust, 1 intake)
            2) While reassembling, during an ill thought out bench shimming session, I managed to take out on more exhaust valve!
            3) While disassembling from head gasket and valve stem seal refresh, I managed to take out an exhaust valve when I rotated the crank to get to the last bolt on the intake cam without remembering that I had ALREADY removed BOTH bolts on the exhaust cam gear!

I'm learning, but items 2 and 3 make me feel VERY stupid!
            Last edited by clcorbin; 08-20-2010, 06:45 PM. Reason: expanding comments
            -- Clint

Comment

Working...
            X