Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you guys come up with the names for your 11s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I named my original XS11 because I figured that, like a mythic Succubus, she would take me to the ultimate level of adrenalin-rushing excitement right before she killed me. Unlike a true Succubus, I do not believe I will be asleep at the time. Though you never know.

I named my second XS Incubus because Succubus needed a mate. And yes, I do plan to breed them. I'm hoping for XS650s.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Mine rarely get names, other than the ones they temporarily acquire when they're being resistant to repair (and few of those are ones you'd use in polite company). The one exception was my chopper ('Cheepo Chopper'), but the name had more to do with the project scope than the bikes personality.

Hey, when they're runnin' good, they're all 'my baby'...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Don't have a name, but the previous owner called her "Significant Other." I don't think of the bike that way, but sometimes the wife calls it that.

I do believe in referring to vehicles as female though.

I've thought of referring to her as "Serenity" after the ship from Firefly. There are a lot of similarities; she's old, not especially pretty, held together with spare parts, but is fast and nimble and feels like home. But naming something after a TV show seems a bit pretentious.
        1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Originally posted by malber View Post
          - - - naming something after a TV show seems a bit pretentious.
          Hi malber,
          so does swanning around on an overpowered antique motorcycle but we all do that, eh?
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            I'll say that many of my vehicles never get a name. They seem to me that when a name is needed, it just comes to mind. My XS400 which I have owned since 85, didn't have a name till about 2 years ago, when I started working on her to get her back on the road after 13 years. Since I was spending so much time babying her to get things in shape, she became my "baby". As for the XS1100, I have been impressed with how masculine he feels, and rather brutish, and so the name "brutus" came to mind. My 89 Camaro has no name, and such, but our 2003 malibu has the type of personality such that her name is "barbie", what with her being a bit of a ditz.

To my mind, if a vehicle needs a name, you won't need to ask someone how to name it, you will KNOW what it's name is.
            True dat! I think I'll wait 'till something just fits.
            '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

I call my XS "il barrachino" it's an Italian word that originally referred to those food vendor cart that were either the push type or horse or ox drawn. over time, in Italy the carts became more delapidated and were held together with bailing wire, duct tape and the like. the name "il barrachino" now, as I understand it refers to some kind of contraption that might serve a viable purpose, but don't trust your life to it or you will come up on the wrong side of dead. when I got her, she was missing carbs, a battery, had bad gears, tires, main bearings, and a plethora of other issues. when I rode her the first time, I was loving life, it was a quick evaluation run around the block when the rear tire went flat on me and I had to limp it home. So it seemed that "il barrachino" was the appropriate name for her. I call my Suzuki "la soccola" (means the whore) because my purchasing her almost cost me my marriage. and I call my old Kawasaki "la putana" (means the bitch) because she's the runt of the stable. I don't really speak any viable amount of Italian, and I don't have an Italian bone in my body, but I do like the way it sounds. have a nice day and ride safe
              I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

80 SG named Pixie..

My maroon 1980 SG got the name "Pixie" from my 8 year old daughter this spring. Had the bike for 2.5 years now, but naming a bike is not to be taken lightly and takes time for the right one to stick.

My 2001 ZRX 1200 (Green) is Kermit, as named by her as well. Also calls it "ugly"... My 14 and 16 year old sons are indifferent about naming bikes... They just think about girls.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Mine transitioned from:
                  That POS that was brought home and worked on while my FJ was in pieces
                  That POS that I had to ride while my FJ was in pieces
                  After realizing what a great bike she truly is... SWMBOXS (SWMBOs XS - and I really hate being referred to as SWMBO... SUCH a misnomer lol)

Now the name has progressed to Something Special
                  and I wouldn't trade her for the world
                  81 SH Something Special
                  81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

The name for my bike is hopefully temporary. My wife and I previously had "discussions" about why I should not get a bike. (I got rid of my previous ride 15 years ago after my 1st child was born.) Well, while SWMBO was not home, I came home with "Divorce Maker." SWMBO was REEEEEAAAALLLLYYY ticked off when she got home. She wasn't quite as ticked when the parts bike showed up in the same manner. It took months for the "when are you getting rid of that thing?" stuff to settle down. I just let the 2 bikes sit in the garage for about a year and have just recently started to work on them. I still get the evil eye when I attempt to do anything with the bike. It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission, right?
                    79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
                    79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
                    79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

Working...
                    X