Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you guys come up with the names for your 11s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you guys come up with the names for your 11s?

I'm trying to come up with one but "no-go". I've been told by a close friend I don't have an original bone in my body. Maybe he's right. You guys have some really good names, so how did you come up with them??
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Hey Rider,

Believe it or not, this subject came up just a week or so ago, so a quick search for nicknames will reveal it, along with links within that thread to other nickname threads, lots of replies and good stories!
    T.c.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Mostly by chance......
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I don't name machines... My son named our fish, but I don't believe in naming those either..
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Ooops, I must have missed that thread - I'll check it out. Thanks
          '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            I don't name machines... My son named our fish, but I don't believe in naming those either..
            Only name I give fish is 'Lunch'
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
              Only name I give fish is 'Lunch'
              For most fish the only name I give them is bait. Don't care for most of it, so I don't eat it. The other name for them is cat food.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

And so we digress, now I am only able to think of Dr. Seus. One Fish, Two Fish, Red fish, blue Fish........and of course the fish from the Cat in the Hat!!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Mad Max

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
                  I'm trying to come up with one but "no-go". I've been told by a close friend I don't have an original bone in my body. Maybe he's right. You guys have some really good names, so how did you come up with them??
                  Named mine Mad Max, sure a few others have done the same. Sometimes want to call her "you worthless bitch" but save that for my X wives. Think about how she makes you feel when you twist the on the gas and you might name her "holy S#!t" that is a good name
                  1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                  1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                  1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I named mine Eleanor. In refrence to the GT500 mustang from the movie "gone in 60 seconds". Because everytime I think I have it something goes wrong and I'm back to square one.
                    Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Comment

I had a hard enough time naming my kids; never named a car or a bike...
                      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

Naming

I use mythology and astronomy. "Hermes" for instance was was the god of travel but also of commerce. Apropriate in both cases as he kicks butt on the road and cost me plenty to restore him so he could. My other ride I call "Spica". This in in reference to the constelation Virgo( virgin). Spica is the primary star and I chosse that as this bike has less than 10K original miles. This is as close to a virgin as a 30 year old bike can get.
                        mack
                        79 XS 1100 SF Special
                        HERMES
                        original owner
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                        SPICA
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                        IOTA
                        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                        Frankford, Ont, Canada
                        613-398-6186

Comment

My brother hung the name Betsy on my old CB500. He had bought a brand new Kawasaki CSR650 that was a lot faster, and he used to raz me by asking "How's ole Betsy doing today?" (a reference to Fess Parker/Daniel Boone's trusty shootin' iron.) Anyway, there's something reminiscent about that old CB in this XS, and as she's pretty trusty (and definitely a point and shoot vehicle), 'Betsy' seemed appropriate for her too.
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
                            Hi 'rider,
                            mine's "The Flying Pumpkin"
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'll say that many of my vehicles never get a name. They seem to me that when a name is needed, it just comes to mind. My XS400 which I have owned since 85, didn't have a name till about 2 years ago, when I started working on her to get her back on the road after 13 years. Since I was spending so much time babying her to get things in shape, she became my "baby". As for the XS1100, I have been impressed with how masculine he feels, and rather brutish, and so the name "brutus" came to mind. My 89 Camaro has no name, and such, but our 2003 malibu has the type of personality such that her name is "barbie", what with her being a bit of a ditz.

To my mind, if a vehicle needs a name, you won't need to ask someone how to name it, you will KNOW what it's name is.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X