What did I get myself into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schnurpfeil View Post
    The tech book says that there is a bleeder screw somewhere on the caliper but I can not find it.
    It should be visible as plain as day unless it has been snapped off.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The bleeder screw should look identical to any car bleeder screw you have seen.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey, we're neighbors. I live in New Egypt and I work in Howell all the time (house painter). We can't be much more than 20 minutes from each other. PM me your number!
        '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

well the caliper housing has one main bolt running through it to hold it to the bike. Then there is a thing that looks like a grease fitting. Besides the pads, shims and guides thats all thats there. They do not look like what is in the tech manuals. So I checked the brakes before I came into work today. I can get a full pull with out it getting tougher to pull the more I pull. I don't think thats right. What cleaner can I use to flush the master cylinder out with? Last night I just tried flushing it with more DOT3. It got a lot of crap out but the small ports may have more junk in them then I thought. At what point should I just pull the entire brake system off and redo everything? Is there special tools I will need to do a proper job of this? I put a level to the 2 front disc rotors and they seem true all the way around.
          If you don't like your situation, change your perception.

XS1100 Midnight Special '80 - current
          '09 Malibu LT2 - current
          '01 Explorer sport - current

XS650 Heritage special '81 - gone
          '99 Wrangler - gone
          '90 Cherokee Loredo - gone
          '04 c230 - gone - thank God

Comment

That grease fitting is your bleeder screw. There also are two tiny holes in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir that have to be clear. One is the outlet for the brake fluid, one is the return. If you brake lever builds up pressure when you squeeze it you maybe could get away with not rebuilding the master. Try bleeding the system and see how well it works. You should bleed all of the old fluid out of the system and replace it with fresh fluid. This may allow you to just bleed and use, and it can be a real pain in the butt to bleed the front brakes into a functioning condition if you drain all of the old fluid out and try to refill an empty system.'

Other than that, it's pretty easy.

Patrick
            Last edited by Incubus; 08-18-2010, 05:17 PM.
            The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
            1969 Yamaha DT1B
            Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Originally posted by schnurpfeil View Post
              What cleaner can I use to flush the master cylinder out with? Last night I just tried flushing it with more DOT3. It got a lot of crap out but the small ports may have more junk in them then I thought. At what point should I just pull the entire brake system off and redo everything? Is there special tools I will need to do a proper job of this?
              Use a can or 2 of Brake parts cleaner. It should sit really close to the Carb cleaner in the auto parts store (or even Walmart). I is really caustic, so don't get it in your eyes, and avoid getting it on your skin too much (it can sting). IMHO, any time you have enough grime in the brake system to actually SEE it, that is when ou should take the whole system apart and clean it. Remember that the brakes are the MOST IMPORTANT part of the bike, and getting it spotless is vital to your safety. The only "special" tool you might need is a set of snap-ring pliers to get the pistons out of the master cylinders. Be sure to use the master cylinders to pump the pistons out of the calipers before removing them if you can. Otherwise, you can use compressed air to push them out. Be careful with that though, as the pistons shoot out like a cannon!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

I don't know that a fellow who can't find the bleeder screw outta be tearing down a master cylinder, CB. Not yet anyway.

Patrick
                The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                1969 Yamaha DT1B
                Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                  I don't know that a fellow who can't find the bleeder screw outta be tearing down a master cylinder, CB. Not yet anyway.

Patrick
                  Maybe so, but I wouldn't suggest he ride with brakes in that condition either. IMO, they need to be taken apart by SOMEONE...
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post

Patrick
                    He found it on the one side, who knows what the previous owner might have done. The PO might have ran a bolt in where the bleeder was for all we know. Besides, the break systems are relatively simple in nature, gotta start learning somewhere. If he really is that mechanically declined, then he should have somone who is inclined double check his work. In either case, I agree with Catatonicbug.
                    Last edited by WMarshy; 08-18-2010, 08:01 PM.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

OK so I now did both front brakes and got a nice tight pull. I went online and watched a "how to" on donig the brakes and that set me up right. You guys were right. It was not that hard to do. I took it around my block and it works nicely now. The piston on the left was the one that was dragging. Next I am going to tackle my rear. That should go much faster. Don't worry guys. Just because I can turn a wrench and read a tech manual does not make me a bike mechanic. With this in mind I am looking for a certified "trustworthy" bike mechanic in my area to look it over before I plan on going anywhere outside of pushing home distance. I think that after the brakes are done. I will go with an oil change, lube and new plugs. Then, the carb issue. The tranny issue my take some time to build up the curage for. The tires will defenitely go to the shop.
                      If you don't like your situation, change your perception.

XS1100 Midnight Special '80 - current
                      '09 Malibu LT2 - current
                      '01 Explorer sport - current

XS650 Heritage special '81 - gone
                      '99 Wrangler - gone
                      '90 Cherokee Loredo - gone
                      '04 c230 - gone - thank God

Comment

Working...
                      X