Bill of sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill of sale?

How hard is it to register a bike that is bought with a bill of sale?
    I'm in New Jersey if that matters.

Thanks
    Rick
    XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
    650SF
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
    XS1100SG Project bike
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

You really need to contact your local DMV (or whoever handles titles in your state) to find out. But generally speaking, if whoever you're buying it from isn't the title holder and it's not a case of a simple lost title, it can be a real can of worms. Some states, there's no way without the title...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

It is not easy at all. Can be done but not easy. If your lucky, debatable, and it cannot be found as a titled vehicle at all anywhere (most states purge their records after X number of years of a vehicle not being registered. Last time I had to deal with it the state I was in they purged their records every 7 years) then there will be a court decision as to it being unclaimed property and then the vehicle with go up for auction usually at the local sheriff department and then you can buy it, hopefully.

It can be different in different areas but thats what it has been for me in the past.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

However, there are title companies that will title the bike and give you a one year registration after which you transfer the title to your state and register it in your state. It's not real cheap I hear, but it's a way to get it done. If you do a search you should be able to find one of the threads where it's talked about.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

i just went through this in wi this spring. i had to take pics of the bike, have a law man come and run the vin. then i had to get a title bond(basically an insurance policy on the title) for 150% of the bikes blue book value. then they issued me a bonded title. after 5yrs the need for the insurance is waived. it cost me $100 for an $1200 insurance bond. the hardest part was getting the information that i needed to get it done, and finding someone local who actually new what a title bond was. good luck.
          1981 xs1100 midnight special
          1983 750 midnight maxim
          resurrected:
          1977 goldwing
          1980 cb750
          North central Wisconsin

Comment

As someone mentioned there are companies that specialize in this. A friend of mine got a Dnepr titled in NJ for $100 that way!
            '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Sort of thought that was the case.
              Found a parts bike near me this will be a factor in the negotiating.

Thanks again
              Rick
              XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
              650SF
              XS1100SG Project bike

Comment

Title Service

There is a place called International Title Services that will get you proof of ownership so that you may apply for a new title in your name. I've never used is but, I recall someone saying they have used them a few times with good sucess. If you seach for it you should find it. Going through your state DMV is a real pain, no one knows how or what to do, to title the bike if there is no title and when the documents are purged, its even harder. It can be done but it seems like no one can really explain all the possbile ways to obtain a new title. If you buy it with no title, plan on spending a couple hundred and a lot of time to get one.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Bill of Sale

I'm here in S.C. and bought a bike with no title..........it took me two years and finally got the girl behind the counter at the dmv to feel sorry for me and fixed me up. They have changed the laws here..... no title.....no way...even if bought out of state.
                  At this time:
                  1985 Goldwing Innr.
                  1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                  2007 vtx 1300
                  81 sx 1100 s h
                  81 sx 400 special

Comment

So what is a parts bike worth?

looks like it had a fairing but went down broke and broke it since it is missing.
                    That means it has no head light bucket.
                    rear directional and clutch lever damaged. Engine guard looks like it is bent.
                    badges missing.
                    Going to see if I could see it in person.

Rick
                    650SF
                    XS1100SG Project bike

Comment

Its only worth what your willing to pay. I bought a ready to ride 79 SF with no title for $350... Do what ya can...
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Rick, the DMV in Jersey sucks. Get the parts bike with a clean title and do the deed. I bought my XS from PA last year and the DMV in Newton insisted that I need to get the title notorized by the previous owner. I know this isn't the case since I bought a car from PA the year before and they said the notorization is only required when selling to another PA resident. They titled and plated the car on the spot. I was passing the DMV in Randolph a week or so later and took a chance. They titled and registered the bike without saying anything about notorization.
                        Me Make Big Dings Wid Hamma N Welda

1979 XS1100F
                        1985 VMX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rickrod3 View Post
                          How hard is it to register a bike that is bought with a bill of sale?
                          I'm in New Jersey if that matters.
                          Rick
                          Hi Rick,
                          a bill of sale is all that's needed in Saskatchewan but that don't help you any, eh?
                          Here's a quote that seems appropriate:-
                          (referring to an unnamed politician) "He is as compassionate as the IRS and as efficient as the DMV."
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                          X