No announcement yet.

bad ignition advance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI, just ordered the petcock/diaphragm rebuild kit from Georgefix as recommended on other threads/posts on the forum. Good to have on hand, as I don't have any issues with the petcocks/diaphragm at this point, but who knows when I might need them...
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
      Fourth and last on my list, is an issue with the vacuum advance or pick up wire. YES the vac advance is hooked to the carb body, and the octy to the carb boot, so that is in order.
      Ah, but what about the pick-up wires themselves? The way you're describing it sounds to me like you're running on two cylinders much of the time. Not sure why it would seem to be heat related so much, but strange coincidences do happen.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Hi Ken,

No, it's running on all 4 most of the time (which is to say, I don't think it's not running on 4 at anytime as a result of ignition woes), and running well at that. Did two things tonight... Pulled the tank to drain it and then pulled the petcocks. The fuel screens were basically immaculate, barely a speck on either one. Then took the fuel cap off, dismantled it, made sure all the holes were open. The only thing that could have been suspect is the round fiber plate had such a teeny hole in it, and it looked like the fibers were partially obstructing that hole. Opened the hole up a bit, cleaned up the edges and put it all back together the correct way.

As well, took apart the petcocks. The only thing that looked out of the norm was the face of the rubber gasket with the holes in it had worn and torn a little around the edges of a couple holes on both L and R sides. Pulled the gasket out, reversed it and put it back together.

Bike started up, no leaks, so I'll have to get out for a ride and see if the half tank issue is cleared up. It only had about 2 gallons in it, so I just put the fuel back in that I had drained and strained. Nothing bad came out of the fuel when I strained it, so again, the tank is great, screens are great, fuel cap vent is cleaned up.

I will take a look at the pick up wire regardless of how this turns out after tonight's work.

I'll keep you all posted, hope to get out for a ride early in the AM before work.
        Last edited by Bonz; 08-23-2010, 10:03 PM.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
        X