'79 vs '80 Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '79 vs '80 Seat

Can someone tell me if a seat from a '79 XS1100 will fit on an 1980 XS1100 There is one for sale on ebay but he doesn't know the answer. No sense in bidding if it won't fit. Or better yet, does anyone happen to have a seat that will fit the '80?

Thanks,

If it is a 79 special it will NOT fit. Standard seats I believe interchange through all years on standard bikes
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

On Standards, the seat pan is different between the 78-79 and the 80-81 to accommodate the location of the ignition box. The early years the box is mounted in the rear, the late in the front. There are some other minor differences also, such as a tail cowling on the early models. There may also be some clearance issues with the side covers, as their design was also switched in 1980.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I knew the cowling and side covers was different but I didnt know that changed the seat. Learn something new everyday!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

couldn't you just use the plastic inner fender from the 80 to mount the ignition mod, and use the 79 fender and seat?
          1981 xs1100 midnight special
          1983 750 midnight maxim
          resurrected:
          1977 goldwing
          1980 cb750
          North central Wisconsin

Comment

I've got a 79F, and I have both seat types - the one with the plastic cowel that's exposed, and one with the metal cowl that's covered with fabric. They both fit fine. My brother has an 80G with the earlier seat type, and that also fits fine.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
            X