Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs

I need to adjust my carbs. Could someone please help me by giving some advise?

Also i have a problem with the throttle cable. When i turn the bars left the RPMs go down but when i turn them right the RPMs go way up. what would cause this?
    79 xs 11 Special

Hey Chuck,

Well, first welcome to the site, and congrats on your acquisition of your 79 Special! Would suggest you edit your signature to include your year/make of your bike for future posts, so folks don't have to check your profile to find that info. Certain bits of advice can be model/year specific.

Now, we would like to invite you to peruse the site, the tech tips either in the separate forums....just scroll down....or from the drop down menus on the top of the page where it says XS11 INFO. See the STICKY THREAD at the top of this forum that folks are requested to READ before posting!

Until you tell us more about what kind of advice you are needing with your carbs, we can't say much. As for the throttle..your cable is set a bit too tight...there's a slack adjustment at the handlebar, you need to adjust it to loosen the cable to about 1/8" to 1/4" play in the throttle throw....especially when the bars are turned far right. But also check the routing of the cable, making sure it's not routed thru too sharp a turn along the frame.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Carbs out of adjustment

I am having a few problemss getting the adjustment right. I now have a back fire that happens while riding on the left side. I am not not very mechanicly enclined when it comes to this bike. Could someone please give me a few pointers.
      79 xs 11 Special

Comment

First thing you need to do is clean the carbs. If you have not done that yet, use the tech tip to take them apart and clean every last nook and crannie inside them. While you are in there, check the float levels (see the manual for details).

Once that is done, you need to synchronize them. You will need some type of sync tool to do this. You can make one yourself with clear tubing and tranny fluid, or they can be purchased for under $100.

Once they are synchronized, you will need to adjust the mixture screws. IMO, the backfiring you are getting is most likely caused by this issue, but the other things need to be taken care of first anyway. You can adjust the mixture screws using a colortune plug (you can purchase them for the 14mm plugs on ebay or at www.carbtune.co.uk) or by ear. There is a tech tip about this as well. HTH
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Signature?

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey Chuck,

Well, first welcome to the site, and congrats on your acquisition of your 79 Special! Would suggest you edit your signature to include your year/make of your bike for future posts, so folks don't have to check your profile to find that info. Certain bits of advice can be model/year specific.

Now, we would like to invite you to peruse the site, the tech tips either in the separate forums....just scroll down....or from the drop down menus on the top of the page where it says XS11 INFO. See the STICKY THREAD at the top of this forum that folks are requested to READ before posting!

Until you tell us more about what kind of advice you are needing with your carbs, we can't say much. As for the throttle..your cable is set a bit too tight...there's a slack adjustment at the handlebar, you need to adjust it to loosen the cable to about 1/8" to 1/4" play in the throttle throw....especially when the bars are turned far right. But also check the routing of the cable, making sure it's not routed thru too sharp a turn along the frame.

T.C.
          Would love to edit my signature to include bikes, how do I do that
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
            Would love to edit my signature to include bikes, how do I do that
            Click user CP, Click edit signature, add your signature.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

carbs etc

Hi Jed,
              Congrats on finding this site, it will save you innumerable problems to post your concerns here if youre not already a master mechanic.

The link below will take you to the ,,, page ,,, carb cleaning 101,,,,,,this page was invaluable for me when I did my first set of carbs, its filled with pictures. There are lots of files on this site that help with the carbs too.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t+carb+rebuild

In any case it can also be found under the moniker of wildkat also. If you really want to perfect the carbs, , georgefix on ebay sells carb rebuild kits . He is well respected here on the board, I have bought lots from him, and he is quick ship type.
              Bikes Now.
              80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
              79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
              83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
              83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
              08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                Click user CP, Click edit signature, add your signature.
                Thanks Phil
                1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Working...
                X