High end clutch slip.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post

I will try to adjust more this evening or this weekend... The clutch lever is rather stiff...but i guess it wont hurt to replace springs and scuff up the steels....
    Yeah, that might be caused by your avatar. Fortunately it doesn't show while typing a reply even this way, but I'll leave them in for others to see.

Oh, make sure that the clutch cable is moving easily and freely, as a dry cable will make the lever stiff AND can make the clutch slip.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

yeah..just picked up a cable oiler....havent used it yet....whats the best lube to use?
      '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
      Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
      4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
      Windjammer(wiring issues)
      SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
      New paint/brakes to come!!
      ===============
      '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
      ===============
      '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
      Stock Pilots/125 mains
      Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
      SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
      LED Brake Lite
      Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

yeah..just picked up a cable oiler....havent used it yet....whats the best lube to use?
        Even motor oil will work. I got my oiler at the Yamastealer and it came with lube, you can get it without the oiler at most MC shops or dealers.
        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Spade Fuse Box
        750 FD Mod
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

When I first got stormbringer running last season, the clutch was improperly adjusted by the po and slipped at all ranges. After I got the adjustment staightened out it would then slip at high rpms and throttle angles, I lived with it for the rest of the abbreviated riding season. Over winter I opened it up and found the frictions each about .010" thinner than the new ones I had acquired ( times 8 plates, that's pretty huge) and the springs well over specified minimun lenghth. I hit the steels with a whet stone while soaking the new frictions in the sythetic 15w50 I was swithching to and put it all back together. I thought this thing had power last year....holy wheelies batman! and I don't have a popeye left forearm from HD springs.

My daughter's RT100 was just the opposite when I got it early this spring,
          the clutch would stick like you said yours did every initial startup, then slip after I got it unstuck, relpaced the frictions and now it to is fine.

Just sharing my experiences, and pointing out that you have an opportunity to gain a clutch made of modern materials and can therefore take advantage of modern oil technologies.
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

....whats the best lube to use?
            Sounds like a personal problem to me.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I have had this problem for year(s)

Even when Betsey the first was brand new, the clutch would slip. What I do now, and in the past,, is do a roll on and adjust the clutch at the handle bar . going in or out..Life ain't easy when your fat and greasy.... 250 lbs...
              If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention,

Screwing with the handle bar adjustment on the fly, is after you adjust the clutch per instructions.

When I do a fifth gear roll on and it slips, I;ll screw in the handle bar adjuster in. You just have to remember to screw the handlebar adjustment back out when you need to shift up and down (like rush hour traffic) or your tranny like be quite clunky..

I also know that this is pooh-pawed by many on here, but I have never had any clutch work done on two different bike with over 50k on both...

Also when doing the on the fly adjustment, in or out means just a little, like half a turn...mo.02 worth
                If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

Comment

EBC, Vesrah, or Barnett springs??? EBC's i see are cheap $$$ but to they hold up? Not a lot of $$ for the next few weeks and i am sure they need to be replaced....but i dont wanna throw good money on top of bad.....
                  '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                  Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                  4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                  Windjammer(wiring issues)
                  SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                  New paint/brakes to come!!
                  ===============
                  '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                  ===============
                  '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                  Stock Pilots/125 mains
                  Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                  SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                  LED Brake Lite
                  Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by saddle up View Post
                    Screwing with the handle bar adjustment on the fly, is after you adjust the clutch per instructions.

When I do a fifth gear roll on and it slips, I;ll screw in the handle bar adjuster in. You just have to remember to screw the handlebar adjustment back out when you need to shift up and down (like rush hour traffic) or your tranny like be quite clunky..

I also know that this is pooh-pawed by many on here, but I have never had any clutch work done on two different bike with over 50k on both...

Also when doing the on the fly adjustment, in or out means just a little, like half a turn...mo.02 worth
                    If doing that makes it not slip, then it's not adjusted right. If you can't both get it to slip and to disengage completely, then it needs fixed. When mine is good and hot after a hard run, it can be a little hard to get into neutral, but I can always shut it off at that point anyways.

I repeat, if fiddling with the adjustment makes it stop slipping, it wasn't adjusted right in the first place. These thing will clunk, but with practice at matching speeds, you can get it to work pretty smooth, like if you can get to where you can shift smoothly without the clutch, shifts with it will be smooth.

I can shift pretty well without using the clutch, and most people can't tell I did it, but I almost always use the clutch anyways to reduce the wear on the dogs.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Vesrah

EBC, Vesrah, or Barnett springs??? EBC's i see are cheap $$$ but to they hold up? Not a lot of $$ for the next few weeks and i am sure they need to be replaced....but i dont wanna throw good money on top of bad.....

I put in the Vesrah in my 78 last year and works well. Of course I do not run the old beasts hard anymore but for the money I think they are ok.
                      Please tell me you do not know the owner of those jiggly things on your avatar!!
                      78 XS1100E Standard
                      Coca Cola Red
                      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Sorry, I disagree

But I knew this was going to be said.

For the rest of you, after adjusting your clutch for the 10th try,,, welll

Comment

Originally posted by saddle up View Post
                          But I knew this was going to be said.

For the rest of you, after adjusting your clutch for the 10th try,,, welll
                          Are you talking about if it's slipping and adjusting makes it stop but then it clunks too much meaning it's not adjusted right? Sorry, but that's not opinion it's fact, and while facts can be ignored, they can't really be disagreed with as opinions can. If adjusting the cable makes it stop slipping, then it was being held partially disengaged by the handle, which is by definition not properly adjusted. You can choose of course to incorrectly adjust your clutch (BTW, I have not had to touch my clutch in over 9 months and it doesn't slip and disengages properly) multi plate clutches are going to drag some, particularly wet ones, it's part of the way they work. If you have the throwout bearing engaged all the time (which by your description you do) it's under pressure all the time and wearing, your also holding your springs a little more compressed (which is likely not good (this BTW is opinion and as such can be disagreed with) for them), and since last I checked the throwout bearing is NLA, I would want mine to last as long as possible.

My experience with MC clutches (at least the cable operated ones) is that if they don't fully engage and disengage, it's almost always because the clutch cable is hanging in the housing, which can usually be fixed by lubing the cable, but sometimes if their bad enough requires replacing the cable to fix. If the clutch cable is work like it should, you should be able to both fully disengage the clutch and have it fully engaged when you release it. You WILL run into issues with high temps though, because the metal cable does expand which leaves it not fully pulling the arm all the way up when it gets hot (and since the clutch cable lays across the top of the engine this will happen when things get hot). You could adjust the cable to compensate, but the it will almost assuredly be too tight when it cools off, so IMHO (opinion here again) it's not worth the trouble, since you only really NEED the clutch to start and stop, the rest of the time is a convenience and may make the gears last a little longer (and this again is debatable) but then it may not, and this may depend on how good you are at shifting.

Frankly, I've been riding this 79, which is not as long as fredintoon, but is longer than many, and while I've only owned 3 bikes (1 honda and 2 yamaha's) this matches both my experience AND that which has been shared with me by others.

Oh, back to opinion again, if your adjusting the clutch for the 10th time, your either doing it wrong, or something needs fixed. Either one is likely, and you can ignore this as you feel fit.
                          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          750 FD Mod
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

EBC, Vesrah, or Barnett springs??? EBC's i see are cheap $$$ but to they hold up?
                            I've always used the EBC's with no slipping problems, YMMV.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Not adjusted right?

Well, I've owned about 10 scooter of all makes and sizes... I never owned a car until I was 26. AND I have never rebuilt a clutch EVER.. Of all the bikes I have owned the XS is the worst for clutch slippages. (when you are really getting it own,, i.e. half time no clutch) Period. And I don't baby sit my scooter's.. I.E., I don't ride like Grandma. It's Balls out, with wheelies and burn outs. It's funny though according to you I can't adjust a clutch. Me thinks you are wrong in your assessment.. I don't have a bagger or a windshield,, if I want that, I'll ride the car. Plus I ride year around.. So it must be the cable huh?

Comment

Hey Saddle,

The clutch springs get SPRUNG surprisingly quickly. I had worked on mine just a few years ago, put in new frictions along with new springs. A few years and less than 10K miles later(yeah, I know....I don't daily ride it) it started slipping!? I took it apart, measured the frictions, they were essentially still at full spec, but the springs had already compressed down below spec length! So...that's when I did the new HD springs, AND also added the extra steel. It grabs great in all gears under all loads, AND I can fully disengage it with the clutch level pull, never have to adjust the cable/handlebar adjuster. Just some more thoughts....your springs may be getting weak!
                                T.C.
                                T. C. Gresham
                                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                                History shows again and again,
                                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                                X