This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust temperature???

does anyone have any spec. or know what there header pipe temps are? i know i have a tuning issue, my temps are #1 300F #2 245F #3 240F #4 150F.
    bike runs strong, i know #4 is rich but is #1 too lean i.e. is 300F too high? or is 300F normal?
    79' XS1100SF

Dont know what it should be (if there really is a specific number range) all I know is that if you spray a little water on the pipe when its running its should evaporate pretty much instantly!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Lean or rich is normally determined by plug color, not exhaust temp. If your high tech, you could use an exhaust gas analyzer to get the right mixture level. Your looking for a light tan color on the plugs, if it's darker it's too rich if it's lighter its too lean.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Temp

All your temp's are well within Ok temp.The differance in temp does show you need some tunning, If it runs great, as you say, syc carbs and check temp again, then check color of plugs after "new" ones or cleaned ones have been used for a few hundred miles That will tell the story
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
          All your temp's are well within Ok temp.The differance in temp does show you need some tunning, If it runs great, as you say, syc carbs and check temp again, then check color of plugs after "new" ones or cleaned ones have been used for a few hundred miles That will tell the story
          That 150 is too low. Agreed though that plug color or exhaust gas analysis is the only real way to tell.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I can tell you about mine.

Well I dont know what they should be or if there is even a specification but I think that the difference between cylinder temps is more of an indicator than the actual temp of the exhaust. Kind of like a compression test, its mostly the percentage of difference betwen cylinders.

If you measure the temp right out of the head on the pipes, the type of exhaust you have can make a difference, such as are they the stock double wall pipes or single wall aftermarket. I have a 4-1 header that is ceramic coated inside and out and when tuned right my exhaust pipe temps, measured about 1" away from the exhaust port, at idle, ranges from 360 to 370 defrees F.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

that is kind of what i wanted to know was what other peoples temps were. i have mac 4-2 exhaust and i am measuring right at the bend in the header at the top. i know somthing is not right because i would expect to see 1 and 4 the same but a little cooler that 2 and 3 just because 2 and 3 cant get as much cooling as 1 and 4. but not too much difference, example maby 1 and 4 are 250 and 2 and 3 are at 270 or so. not that those are the numbers it should be. but it is nice to see that someone else is running hotter than my 300F, i was scared the 300F was too much, but you are around 360-370. i will have to do some more checking. thanks. anyone else know there exhauset temps at the top header bend?
              79' XS1100SF

Comment

Originally posted by raqumup View Post
                that is kind of what i wanted to know was what other peoples temps were. i have mac 4-2 exhaust and i am measuring right at the bend in the header at the top. i know somthing is not right because i would expect to see 1 and 4 the same but a little cooler that 2 and 3 just because 2 and 3 cant get as much cooling as 1 and 4. but not too much difference, example maby 1 and 4 are 250 and 2 and 3 are at 270 or so. not that those are the numbers it should be. but it is nice to see that someone else is running hotter than my 300F, i was scared the 300F was too much, but you are around 360-370. i will have to do some more checking. thanks. anyone else know there exhauset temps at the top header bend?
                Unless their running the same setup as you (same brand and type of exhaust) their not going to have the same temps. Those temps are going to be affected by many things, including the way the bend goes etc. As has been said here, the only way to tell how things are working is to check the plugs or use and EGA to check the mixture levels, and I believe for that to be valid you need to do that on a dyno so that it's under proper load so it's normal operating conditions.
                Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Spade Fuse Box
                750 FD Mod
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

dude i know all this i just wanted to see what other peoples exhaust temps were, im not looking to tune mine to what somone elses temps are but they are all going to be within a range i.e.280-370 or somthing like that.
                  79' XS1100SF

Comment

dude i know all this i just wanted to see what other peoples exhaust temps were, im not looking to tune mine to what somone elses temps are but they are all going to be within a range i.e.280-370 or somthing like that.
                    I doubt your going to achieve that with a junk mac exhaust system. Their quality control is not good and they don't really provide good even heat transfer from the inside. You would have to be measuring the actual gas temps from the same point in relation to each cylinder for it to even be valid. Just go with the correct way to tune and check the plug color, that is the ONLY true way to do it other than EGA tuning on dyno. A color tune plug will help you get it close, but even that MUST be backed up by the plug color check. Even a slight variance in compression will make the exhaust temp be different, and it's not temp your looking for anyways, but rather proper mixture of air and fuel.

And someone with a stock exhaust will see MUCH lower temps on the pipes, as they are double layer unlike the aftermarket stuff. It's just your barking up a wrong tree, the tool your using to trying and check your tuning is the wrong tool, and using the wrong tool to do a job can end up with things worse than when you started.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Exaust heat

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      That 150 is too low. Agreed though that plug color or exhaust gas analysis is the only real way to tell.
                      I didn't mean the pipes were hot enough, just the diff temps showed a prob that could use some tunning. If chrome turns blue at around 900 deg (see attached link) then his bike is running way to cool, could be too rich or other probs, not saying you want 900 deg, of course not, just saying should be hotter and more ecen temp JIMHO

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/mo...es-read-2.html
                      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

What cywelchjr and natemoen are saying is exactly right. You must tune in ways other than measuring exhaust pipe temp. You need to check or service valve clearances, plug type and gap, timing, cam chain tension, air cleaner, fuel bowl level, carb sync and idle mixture. All these things will affect your tune up.

When my machine is tuned right, my temps are 360-370 and that is with my particular exhaust and only at idle. I only check pipe temp out of curiousity and to confirm that everything is sort of balanced, at least at idle. Putting your machine in full tune is alot more than just adjusting the mixture screws and exhaust pipe temp is not a good indicator that things are actually right. Still, it is fun to know.
                        Mike Giroir
                        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

wow you guys are way to literal, i am not trying to tune my bike based on exhaust temp. i just decided to check it because it an easy way to tell if everthing is running the same, and obviously it is not if i have 150F and 300F on two diffent pipes, THAT IS ALL I WAS ASKING IS WHAT IS A NORMAL EXHAUST TEMP.? thats it. i have set my floats, i have completly rebilt the engine and trans, my center crank bearing spun on me, i have checked my valves, i have checked compression, i was just simply asking for exaust temps. THATS IT!!! i appreciate all your input. i have the answer i was looking for.
                          Thank you
                          79' XS1100SF

Comment

wow you guys are way to literal, i am not trying to tune my bike based on exhaust temp. i just decided to check it because it an easy way to tell if everthing is running the same, and obviously it is not if i have 150F and 300F on two diffent pipes, THAT IS ALL I WAS ASKING IS WHAT IS A NORMAL EXHAUST TEMP.? thats it. i have set my floats, i have completly rebilt the engine and trans, my center crank bearing spun on me, i have checked my valves, i have checked compression, i was just simply asking for exaust temps. THATS IT!!! i appreciate all your input. i have the answer i was looking for.
                            Thank you
                            Your missing our point. There is no such thing. Just to be clear. THERE IS NO NORMAL EXHAUST TEMP. Set things so that the plugs look good and the temps your getting from your exhaust are the normal exhaust temps for YOUR RIDE. They may be pretty close, and they may not, but what anybody else's bikes temps are mean nothing to yours. And idle is only one metric, you need to do midrange and WOT reads of the plugs as well, as just because idle it right (or wrong) doesn't mean snot for the others. And the temps that blue the headers are not going to occur at idle but rather it higher throttle settings when going down the road (again, you can't tune the carbs without putting them under load) under load.

Hope this helps, based on your temps your mixtures MAY be off, then again it's slightly possible their fine, so read the plugs or get a colortune (which can be off a bit too, but will be closer than exhaust temps).
                            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            750 FD Mod
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

i know this, i said that in the last response, i just wanted to know what other people temps were, why is that so hard for you to understand? i have my answer so leave it alone, everyone does things differently, your way is not the only way.
                              79' XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
                              X